How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

  1. #1
    Omega
    Guest

    How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    I have created an Excel database containing addresses (more specifically zip
    codes). I then have attempted to mail merge them into Word and have been
    having a heck of a time getting the zip codes to print properly. Each time I
    attempt to print the labels (ie., zip code 08080) the first zero of the zip
    code will not not print for some reason. I have gone back and tried to
    change the format of the cell that holds the zip code and still it does not
    work. I have changed the format from Zip to custom (00000) and still no
    success. Any suggestions from others who have had the same problem and found
    a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    Formatting a numeric value only changes the appearance of the number, but not
    its value. So, even though you can see leading zeroes in you spreadsheet
    they are not part of the data.

    You can insert a helper column to the right of the zip code column and then
    use this formula to convert you zips to text and pad with a leading zero if
    necessary:

    =IF(LEN(A1)=4,"0"&TEXT(A1,"#"),TEXT(A1,"#"))

    Substituting the first zip code cell for A1 in the formula above and copy
    down the helper column to the last row having zip codes. Then copy the
    entire column containing your coversion formula and then move to the first
    cell containing you original zip code values. Click EDIT in the menu, select
    PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click OK. Delete the
    helper column and you're back in business.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Omega
    Guest

    RE: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    Kevin,

    I will try this and let you know how it works. Thanks alot!!

    Omega

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    "Omega" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have created an Excel database containing addresses (more specifically
    >zip
    > codes). I then have attempted to mail merge them into Word and have been
    > having a heck of a time getting the zip codes to print properly. Each
    > time I
    > attempt to print the labels (ie., zip code 08080) the first zero of the
    > zip
    > code will not not print for some reason. I have gone back and tried to
    > change the format of the cell that holds the zip code and still it does
    > not
    > work. I have changed the format from Zip to custom (00000) and still no
    > success. Any suggestions from others who have had the same problem and
    > found
    > a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

    Apparently the content of your cell is the number 8080, not the text string
    08080. Changing the format as you've done doesn't alter the content of the
    cell, but if the cell is treated as a number it won't store the leading
    zeroes.

    You need to turn it into Text (not a number) & concatenate the leading
    zeroes.

    Try =REPT("0",5-LEN(A1))&A1

    If you were starting from square one you could just format the cells as text
    *before* you entered the data.
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    Omega
    Guest

    Re: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    David,

    I am not starting from Zero. I have the zips already in the worksheet, but
    can not print them properly. I'm sorry to be such a novice at this, but I'm
    not sure how to formulate the entire column to accept the formulas that you
    have provided. Is there a way to insert the formalu that you have provided
    so that it will simply adjust the entries that I have made without going down
    the entire column with the new formula? Trying to get the hang of this so
    that I don't have to start over from the beginning. Your help is greatly
    appreciated.

  6. #6

    Re: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    Debra Dalgleish posted this:

    There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

    Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

    And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
    has instructions here:

    http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

    about half way down the page.

  7. #7
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    "Omega" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "David Biddulph" wrote:
    >
    >> "Omega" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >I have created an Excel database containing addresses (more specifically
    >> >zip
    >> > codes). I then have attempted to mail merge them into Word and have
    >> > been
    >> > having a heck of a time getting the zip codes to print properly. Each
    >> > time I
    >> > attempt to print the labels (ie., zip code 08080) the first zero of
    >> > the
    >> > zip
    >> > code will not not print for some reason. I have gone back and tried to
    >> > change the format of the cell that holds the zip code and still it does
    >> > not
    >> > work. I have changed the format from Zip to custom (00000) and still
    >> > no
    >> > success. Any suggestions from others who have had the same problem and
    >> > found
    >> > a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Apparently the content of your cell is the number 8080, not the text
    >> string
    >> 08080. Changing the format as you've done doesn't alter the content of
    >> the
    >> cell, but if the cell is treated as a number it won't store the leading
    >> zeroes.
    >>
    >> You need to turn it into Text (not a number) & concatenate the leading
    >> zeroes.
    >>
    >> Try =REPT("0",5-LEN(A1))&A1
    >>
    >> If you were starting from square one you could just format the cells as
    >> text
    >> *before* you entered the data.

    > I am not starting from Zero. I have the zips already in the worksheet,
    > but
    > can not print them properly. I'm sorry to be such a novice at this, but
    > I'm
    > not sure how to formulate the entire column to accept the formulas that
    > you
    > have provided. Is there a way to insert the formalu that you have
    > provided
    > so that it will simply adjust the entries that I have made without going
    > down
    > the entire column with the new formula? Trying to get the hang of this so
    > that I don't have to start over from the beginning. Your help is greatly
    > appreciated.

    Just copy the formula & paste it down the column, or drag the fill handle
    [where the cursor turns to a + over the square in the bottom right-hand
    corner of the cell] down the column (or just double-click on the fill
    handle).
    --
    David Biddulph

  8. #8
    Omega
    Guest

    Re: How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

    Dave,

    That article did the trick. Thanks alot for your help and direction.

    Omega