Problems saving a worksheet with Links

  1. #1
    Guest

    Problems saving a worksheet with Links

    Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue ... I have a directory which
    contains 129 worksheets which have links to external data (in a Master
    Spreadsheet) -- I need to copy these files into a New Directory, but kee the
    Master Spreadsheet (which they are linked to) in the original location. If
    I do a simple Cut & Past, the Reference Link to the Master Spreadsheet gets
    moved to the New Directory (where the file does not exist), but if I open
    the worksheet (in the original directory/location) and Save As to the New
    Directory, the worksheet saved in the New Directory maintains its link to
    the Master Spreadsheet in the original directory/location. I hope I've
    explained this clearly.

    Here's my problem -- it's a bit time consuming to have to open each and
    every worksheet and Save As to the New Location -- I'm not sure if a Batch
    File (or Dos Command xcopy) would solve this -- Is there some code I could
    use to Open each worksheet, Save As to the New directory, Close, then
    perform this on each of the .xls files in the original directory? If so,
    could you please point me in the direction with an example of the code.

    Example:

    Files in C:\Temp (a.xls, b.xls, c.xls) Copied to C:\Budget

    Many Thanks in Advance.

  2. #2

    Re: Problems saving a worksheet with Links

    I think that this does it:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme01()

    Dim myNames() As String
    Dim fCtr As Long
    Dim myFile As String
    Dim myOldPath As String
    Dim myNewPath As String
    Dim MstrFileName As String
    Dim TempWkbk As Workbook

    'change to point at the old folder
    myOldPath = "c:\my documents\excel\"
    If Right(myOldPath, 1) <> "\" Then
    myOldPath = myOldPath & "\"
    End If

    'change to point at the new folder
    myNewPath = "c:\temp"
    If Right(myNewPath, 1) <> "\" Then
    myNewPath = myNewPath & "\"
    End If

    'the master file--not to be copied
    MstrFileName = "mstr.xls"

    myFile = ""
    On Error Resume Next
    myFile = Dir(myOldPath & "*.xls")
    On Error GoTo 0
    If myFile = "" Then
    MsgBox "no files found"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    'get the list of files
    fCtr = 0
    Do While myFile <> ""
    fCtr = fCtr + 1
    ReDim Preserve myNames(1 To fCtr)
    myNames(fCtr) = myFile
    myFile = Dir()
    Loop

    If fCtr > 0 Then
    For fCtr = LBound(myNames) To UBound(myNames)
    If LCase(myNames(fCtr)) = LCase(MstrFileName) Then
    'do nothing, skip the master file
    Else
    Application.StatusBar _
    = "Processing: " & myNames(fCtr) & " at: " & Now

    Set TempWkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myOldPath _
    & myNames(fCtr), ReadOnly:=True)

    TempWkbk.SaveAs Filename:=myNewPath & myNames(fCtr)
    TempWkbk.Close savechanges:=False
    End If
    Next fCtr
    End If

    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .StatusBar = False
    End With

    End Sub

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Problems saving a worksheet with Links

    Dave -- Thank you for your assistance -- the code worked brillantly! It's
    Friday, so I hate to press my luck on this one, but is it possible to modify
    the code to allow for INPUT boxes for myOldPath & myNewPath (so that a user
    could designate the origination/destination paths without having to tinker
    with the code)? Ideally, I'd like to placed a Command Button on the EXCEL
    worksheet, and when Pressed, display the (2) Input Boxes for myOldPath &
    myNewPath.

    Any ideas on this modification?

    Thanks again for your previous assistance!
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Problems saving a worksheet with Links

    You can incorporate some of the code from one of these sites:

    Jim Rech has a BrowseForFolder routine at:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
    (look for BrowseForFolder)

    John Walkenbach has one at:

    Your main routine will be:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme01()

    Dim myNames() As String
    Dim fCtr As Long
    Dim myFile As String
    Dim myOldPath As String
    Dim myNewPath As String
    Dim MstrFileName As String
    Dim TempWkbk As Workbook

    'change to point at the old folder
    myOldPath = GetDirectory("Select OLD Folder")
    If myOldPath = "" Then Exit Sub
    If Right(myOldPath, 1) <> "\" Then
    myOldPath = myOldPath & "\"
    End If

    'change to point at the new folder
    myNewPath = GetDirectory("Select NEW Folder")
    If myNewPath = "" Then Exit Sub
[...]

    But in a different module, put all this code (From John Walkenbach's site):

    Option Explicit
    Public Type BROWSEINFO
    hOwner As Long
    pidlRoot As Long
    pszDisplayName As String
    lpszTitle As String
    ulFlags As Long
    lpfn As Long
    lParam As Long
    iImage As Long
    End Type

    '32-bit API declarations
    Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" _
    Alias "SHGetPathFromIDListA" (ByVal pidl As Long, ByVal pszPath As String) _
    As Long

    Declare Function SHBrowseForFolder Lib "shell32.dll" _
    Alias "SHBrowseForFolderA" (lpBrowseInfo As BROWSEINFO) As Long

    Function GetDirectory(Optional Msg) As String
    Dim bInfo As BROWSEINFO
    Dim path As String
    Dim r As Long, x As Long, pos As Integer

    ' Root folder = Desktop
    bInfo.pidlRoot = 0&

    ' Title in the dialog
    If IsMissing(Msg) Then
    bInfo.lpszTitle = "Select a folder."
    Else
    bInfo.lpszTitle = Msg
    End If

    ' Type of directory to return
    bInfo.ulFlags = &H1

    ' Display the dialog
    x = SHBrowseForFolder(bInfo)

    ' Parse the result
    path = Space$(512)
    r = SHGetPathFromIDList(ByVal x, ByVal path)
    If r Then
    pos = InStr(path, Chr$(0))
    GetDirectory = Left(path, pos - 1)
    Else
    GetDirectory = ""
    End If
    End Function

  5. #5
    doctorjones_md
    Guest

    Re: Problems saving a worksheet with Links

    Dave -- sorry the the delayed response to your follow-up assistance (with
    the Browse To Option from John Walkenbach's site) -- this works
    Brillantly" -- many thanks to you for all your assistance!