Running Balances

  1. #1
    Sal
    Guest

    Running Balances

    I have been asked to create a single workbook with several worksheets. One
    of these sheets has to ne a control that keeps track of the running balances.
    The remaining sheets are all the same. They need to record in / out figures
    and show a running balance at the bottom - this I am able to do. What I am
    having difficulty with is the control sheet. This needs to record individual
    transactions from within the other sheets. How can I get it to record the
    dates and the incoming and outgoings of all the other sheets so these can be
    reconciled with the bank statements. I am able to get the control sheet to
    keep track of the running balances by using =A!H4+B!H4, but how can I get it
    to record the individula dates of the transaction of these sheets.
    Hope I have made myself clear.
    Thank you all. S

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    If I understood your question correctly, you may well need to use some event driven VBA. If you put some code onto the ThisWorkbook tab in the VAB editor linked to the Workbook_SheetChange event, you could put timestamped transactions on your control sheet by use of the Now() function.
    Martin

  3. #3
    Sal
    Guest

    Re: Running Balances

    Hi
    Can you be a little clearer please. S

  4. #4
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Sal

    My apologies - its difficult to know how to pitch responses.

    I'm suggesting that what you need is a macro which is triggered when you add a date to one of your individual sheets.

    This macro will take the current time from the system clock and place a value on the control sheet. The function to do this is called Now(). You will find details in the help file.

    To trigger the macro, the code needs to be placed on the ThisWorkbook tab of the VBA editor (Shift F11) and given the name Workbook_SheetChange so that it runs every time a cell's contents are changed.

    Without knowing the detail of the sheet, its not possible to write the code here.

    I hope that this helps.