slow

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    slow

    I have some users where their excel is very slow just doing simple tasks
    like clicking between cells. It seems to be related to the excel files
    since it doesn't happen with all files yet the same "slow" files seem fine
    on other pc's with the same version of excel. Network or local doesn't seem
    to change it. The pc's complaining about it are isolated to one group but
    not necesarily everyone in that group. It makes me think one of them had
    some great idea to tweak something or another and just happen to forget to
    mention that fact.

    Any ideas of how I can approach this?

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: slow

    John wrote...
    >I have some users where their excel is very slow just doing simple tasks
    >like clicking between cells. It seems to be related to the excel files
    >since it doesn't happen with all files yet the same "slow" files seem fine
    >on other pc's with the same version of excel. Network or local doesn't seem
    >to change it. The pc's complaining about it are isolated to one group but
    >not necesarily everyone in that group. It makes me think one of them had
    >some great idea to tweak something or another and just happen to forget to
    >mention that fact.
    >
    >Any ideas of how I can approach this?

    This sort of thing would be easier to figure out if your company used
    some sort of remote control software with which you could see
    everything on the user's monitor and interact with their system using
    your own keyboard and mouse. That way you could check what Excel
    add-ins they have loaded as well as what they're running (via Task
    Manager).

    There's an outside possibility something running on the system is
    16-bit software loaded at an awkward memory location.

    You should also check for any event handlers in the Excel workbooks.

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: slow

    You've got the right idea about trying to isolate the problem, but your data
    needs to be more exact. Take a specific file known to be errant and a
    similar one known to be OK and go around and run them both on each computer
    and log the results. Also, try them both with and without macros enabled.
    You "seem" to have it narrowed down to one group, but not for sure......be
    sure! Find the exact computers that display the problem, and the exact
    conditions, and then look for any commonality between them...........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:#[email protected]...