I have a question about adding information to a list of items that have cells linked to another worksheet.

  1. #1
    Marc
    Guest

    I have a question about adding information to a list of items that have cells linked to another worksheet.

    If I editing the list by either using copy or cut the entire row and use
    "insert" the cut or copied rows the linked references stay correct but if I
    use "insert" to add blank rows the link cell reference get all messed up.
    Is there a way around this other than to not do it?

    Marc

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: I have a question about adding information to a list of items that

    I suspect that your links are using absolute addressing - they have $ symbols
    in the cell references like $A$1 or maybe just A$1. Remove the $ symbols
    from addresses that can change and things should be alright. You can use
    Edit | Replace and put $ in the Find entry and leave the Replace entry empty.
    You can select the cells with formulas that need changes like that all at
    once.

    Be careful, you may change a reference that should not when rows are
    inserted or deleted. For example, lets say in C2 you have a tax rate like
    8.75% and things in column A are multiplied by that tax rate in column B with
    formulas like:
    =A1 * $C$2
    =A2 * $C$2
    you will want to keep the $ in the $C$2 part of the formula. If you
    identify those types of references you can change them back after removing
    the $ from everything with Edit | Replace again.