VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    I've been playing around with an IF Function and nesting a VLOOKUP without
    any luck.

    I've got a table which has a list of post codes with corresponding values
    against each. In a separate worksheet I have a list of post codes and where
    there are post codes the VLOOKUP function works and finds the value; however
    there are circumstances where the post codes are different and I rather than
    produce a FALSE statement and put N/A in the column I want it to add a
    different numerical value.

    I do not know all the post codes so I cannot add these to the VLOOKUP table.
    I need the VLOOKUP table to record the exact values that correspond to the
    post codes.

    HELP Please
    --
    David

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    Try
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B100,2,FALSE)),"Your different
    value",VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B100,2,FALSE))
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    Alan,

    Thank you so much for your help. Your suggested formula was almost right for
    what I wanted. Rather than use FALSE I needed to substitute this for TRUE.

    If I hadn't received your input I would have been here until next year!
    Thanks once again as this is going to save me considerable time on a project
    I'm working on.
    --
    David

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    You're welcome,

  5. #5
    David
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    Alan,

    A false dawn I'm afraid. I thought I'd cracked it with your help, but when I
    copied the function throughout the spreadsheet it has returned incorrect
    values.

    With the TRUE added it seems to pick the nearest result to the post code
    within the VLOOKUP Table, whereas when I use your formula i.e. FALSE it
    returns the correct value for the first entry, but again a problem occurrs
    when you copy the formula throughout the spreadsheet. In this case it returns
    the same value throughout the pasted items.

    To give you a further snapshot of what I have: -

    1st Worksheet

    Under Column J I have the first 3 arguments of the postcode which is say AB25

    2nd Worksheet

    This is where the vlookup table is held; and the values are listed in
    alphabetical order.

    Column A Column B
    Row 1 Post Code Percentage
    Row 2 AB25 0.002%
    Row 3 AB26 0.05%
    Row 4 EC1 0.075%

    I have added your formula to a separate column in the 1st Worksheet e.g.

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(J2,($A$2:$B$4,2,FALSE)),0.50%,VLOOKUP(J2,$A$2:$B$4,2,FALSE))

    In this example 0.50% is the value I want the formula to return if there is
    not an exact match within the VLOOKUP Table.

    I think that you've definitely put me on the right track and ISNA is I'm
    sure the right function. I think the problem revolves around the nesting of
    the IF Function. To recap the formula needs to check the value i.e. the post
    code in the VLOOKUP table and if it doesn't make the correct match, it needs
    to return a percentage value e.g. 0.50% value, but where it it does make an
    exact match then look at the VLOOKUP table again and return the corresponding
    percentage value.

    I'll be so relieved when and if I find a solution; otherwise it means me
    trawling through a spreadsheet with close to 4,000 rows and manually putting
    in the percentages.

    Thanks

    David
    --
    David

  6. #6
    David
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    Alan,

    Please ignore my last e-mail - I had made a mistake with copying the
    formula. Your initial formula was in fact right from the start. Apologies for
    any inconvenience.
    --
    David

  7. #7
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP - WISH TO SUBSTITUTE FALSE FOR A VALUE

    Hi David,
    Glad you have a resolution, no inconvenience on my part, I've only just
    looked here today as I've been away for a day or two. Please accept my
    apologies for not answering your previous post,