Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    StevefromAGINT
    Guest

    Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

    I use Excel extensively for performance analysis and have a fairly complex
    integration of different spreadsheets in different workbooks. I have found
    that there is a physical limitation to the number of cells that I can use in
    any one spreadsheet (seems to be about 67,010). Does anyone know how this
    limitation can either be removed or increased?

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

    The current limitations are 65536 rows and 256 columns.

    These limitation are removed in Excel (office) 2007 ( 1 milion rows/64K
    columns I think) which is currently in beta test. You can download the beta
    from the Microsoft site.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...etthebeta.mspx

  3. #3
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

    Steve

    65536 is the limit in XL97 - 2003 with no increase possible. This will be
    increased in XL2007 to 1048576.

    I however fail to see what a grid of this size does for Excel, particularly
    as the slower functions are added. (SUMIF, VLOOKUP, IF, etc).

    Generally this is a database job which can hold data far more efficiently in
    a normalised, relational state, with Excel being used to calculate summary
    portions as a front end

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    StevefromAGINT
    Guest

    RE: Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

    Thanks for the advice but my problem is not the capacity of the spreadsheet,
    but the number of usable cells. While there is a theoretical maximum of
    65536 rows x 256 columns (16,777,216 cells) I can only seem to be able to use
    about 67,010 as a maximum (Excel 2003 does not allow any other cells to be
    populated after that).

    If you've got any advice I would really appreciate it (I'm investigating an
    SQL DB so this problem is probably only going to be short-term [up to six
    months]).

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Increase the capacity of an Excel spreadsheet

    Steve

    There is no 'logical' reason why you can only use some of the cells in the
    smaller grid. (The larger one is a different matter) unless you have a very
    small amount of memory.

    What error are you getting?