I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual quotes.

  1. #1
    Marc
    Guest

    I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual quotes.

    In some cases the prices are linked from the price book to the quote book.
    If I make changes added lines to the price book and the quote book is not
    opened the the quote books will not update correctly. Correct? If both
    books are open I can get around this. Correct? I tried getting some help
    with a macro that would do this but I haven't had any but I think that this
    would solve the problem. I would like to use a combo box that is populated
    by all the matches in column B and than have other cell in the same row bet
    filled with the price, cost and time to install. Any suggestions?

    I know hire a professional!!!!

    Marc

  2. #2

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actualquotes.

    I think I would use/add a key column that I can use to match up with the price
    book.

    For instance, if the user chooses a nice unique item/description/part number in
    the Quote workbook, you could use formulas to retrieve the data that you want.

    In general, it'll look something like:

    =IF(A1="","",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,[book2.xls]Sheet1!$A:$F,2,FALSE)),"Missing",
    VLOOKUP(A1,[book2.xls]Sheet1!$A:$F,2,FALSE)))

    (that's with the "sending" workbook open.)

    If you close that other workbook, excel will adjust the formula to include the
    paths:

    =IF(A1="","",IF(ISERROR(
    VLOOKUP(A1,'C:\My Documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$F,2,FALSE)),
    "Missing",
    VLOOKUP(A1,'C:\My Documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$F,2,FALSE)))

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())

  3. #3
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual quotes.

    Can I use VLOKUP to match a list of items to populate a combo box? Say
    "Speakers in-ceiling". If so than I can use "Match" if the item is chosen
    to populate the cost, price and time to install cells.

    Marc

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actualquotes.

    =vlookup() will return a single value to the cell with the formula.

  5. #5
    widman
    Guest

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual

    First I would recommend that you have ONE base sheet where all changes are
    made, al products and all of there details.
    Then, each workbook you have would have one page that only cares about
    opening A1, A2,A3, etc. Whatever is in there. They you do Vlookup against
    that table, not the master.

    My master product wheet is about 300 lines, and has different
    characteristics over to about BT. The workbook with my product quotes has a
    second sheet with the details it needs, the shipping sheet with what it
    needs, my purchase orders have what they need, etc.
    Just makesure the dependent workbooks are closed when you add lines in the
    middle or sort the master.

  6. #6
    paul
    Guest

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual

    yes,you can use vlookup to make "dependent" lists for combobox drop downs,and
    vlookup again to populate cost time etc.....
    You just end up with lots of vlookup formula back to your price tables,which
    presumably already have anyway.
    If your vlookup formulas have extra space in them when you create them(ie
    your ranges are bigger than the existing tables you have room to add rows
    without having to adjust formulas
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  7. #7
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: I have to work books one with pricing and the other the actual

    If I'm not mistaken VLOOKUP only works for the far right column is there a
    function that would work the same way for columns B and C? The price book
    as it stands right now hav over 1100 rows of items.

    Marc

    news:[email protected]...