COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT

  1. #1
    ThomH
    Guest

    COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT

    I have a large spread sheet and I need to count the cells with data in Column
    A but only if there is also data in Column B. Can you help?
    --
    Retired but Alive,

    BigT

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Thom,

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000<>"")*(B1:B1000<>""))

    For specific data,

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000=Your Data Here)*(B1:B1000=Your Data Here))

    HTH

    Steve

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT

    By "something in column B" do you mean not blank or a specific value?

    The formula below will count cells if A & B are non-blank (not empty).

    =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A200>"")*(B2:B200>""))

    Or

    =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A200)*(B2:B200=condition))

    HTH

  4. #4
    ThomH
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT

    Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific. What I want is to
    count the cells in column A but I only want to count the cells in column A if
    the same row has data in column B. My spreadsheet will have many rows of
    data in column A but it will not have data in many of the rows of column B.
    I am only interested in counting the rows in column if there is data in
    column B.
    --
    Retired but Alive,

    BigT

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Thom,

    Do you mean that even if A is blank if B has data, count that row or count B if there is data?

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B10<>""))

    If you are using more than one range, the ranges have to be the same number of rows or columns for it to work. If you want to count B if you find specific data like the number 1 in A then try,

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=1)*(B1:B10<>""))

    If this is not what you mean and you want the count to be contingent upon *ANY* data existing in both A and B then my original post should work for you.

    Note: If your data consists of text and numbers then using >"" won't work because numbers (unless stored as text) are not recognized as being greater than "".

    HTH
    Steve

  6. #6
    ThomH
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT

    Thank you for your help. What you gave me is what I needed.
    --
    Retired but Alive,

    BigT

  7. #7
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    You're welcome. Glad to hear you got the solution you were looking for.
    Cheers,
    Steve