showing lookup result with multiple variables

  1. #1
    jprice
    Guest

    showing lookup result with multiple variables

    Howdy neighbors,

    I have been working on solving this one problem for three weeks, with no
    success. I have been through the discussion forums, but not quite been able
    to find the information I am seeking. Can you help? I would be very
    appreciative of any suggestions you could provide.

    The problem will be easiest to understand if you view the file, which can be
    downloaded from my Comcast storage:

    http://home.comcast.net/~jaredprice1...file_Sheet.xls

    This is a spreadsheet used for scoring tests. This sweet spreadsheet will
    automate everything once it is completed.

    The problem at hand pertains to the "Math" sheet, cells D2-E10. Once I can
    get those cells to function correctly, I simply need to get that information
    into it's proper place on the "Score Summary" sheet and the long project is
    complete.

    There are four levels of tests: A, D, M, and E. Example: if the test being
    scored is a level A, I will enter "A" into cell E16 on the "Score Summary"
    sheet. This will affect several other cells, particularly those found in
    columns B-D , which will be hidden. The Scale Score and Grade Level are
    affected by the letter in this box and calculated accordingly.

    The Scale Score and Grade Level is automatically calculated for Reading,
    Language, Vocabulary, and Spelling. With Mathematics, however, there are two
    tests, and the sum of correct answers are added into one raw score (cell
    I15). However, the two math tests carry different amounts of weight, and so
    the scale score and grade level has to be calculated from the charts provided
    with the sheet (See "Math A", "Math D", "Math M", and "Math E".

    Example: if test A was taken, and the tester scored 8 correct in Mathematics
    Computation and 17 correct for Applied Mathematics, I would need to enter 8
    into cell "Math!C2" and 17 into cell "Math!C7". I would then need the
    information from "MathA!L39" to appear in cell "Math!D12" and the information
    from "MathA!L40" to appear in cell "Math!E12". This information can then be
    easily moved into the correct place the Score Summary sheet.

    Another example, if necessary: if test D was taken, and the tester scored 20
    on Mathematics Computation and 20 on Applied Mathematics, I would need to
    enter 20 into cell C3 and 20 into cell C8 (on the "Math" sheet. I would then
    need the information from "MathD!X45" to appear in cell "Math!D13" and the
    information from cell "MathD!X46" to appear in cell "Math!E13".

    Thank you so much for your assistance and ideas.

    Jared Price
    [email protected]

    P.S. If you find yourself wondering about some of the less intelligent
    design using lookup statements and such, just know that it seemed easier at
    the time. I didn't build the four charts until later in the process.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: showing lookup result with multiple variables

    It is not clear, at least to me why the A test would return "MathA!L39" to
    cell "Math!D12" and "MathA!L40" to cell "Math!E12". I assume it has
    something to do with those looked up values in D2,E2 etc., but I cannot see
    what.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: showing lookup result with multiple variables

    Hi Jared,

    For the A test try this in D12 on the Math sheet...

    =INDEX('Math A'!$D$5:$AC$56,$C7*2+1,$C2+1)
    which returned 556

    and this in E12...

    =INDEX('Math A'!$D$5:$AC$56,$C7*2+2,$C2+1)

    which returned 8.2

    Similarly for the other levels...

    Level D...

    =INDEX('Math D'!$D$5:$AC$56,$C8*2+1,$C3+1)
    in D13 on the Math sheet, and...

    =INDEX('Math D'!$D$5:$AC$56,$C8*2+2,$C3+1)
    in E13 on the Math Sheet, etc for the remaining two levels M and E.

    Ken Johnson