I want to copy cell from word that includes line breaks to excel

  1. #1
    sueCBA
    Guest

    I want to copy cell from word that includes line breaks to excel

    I want to copy a table from word that contains cells with line breaks in.
    When I paste into Excel that line breaks drop the data into the cell below.
    Is there any easier way other than removing the line breaks from the word
    document and replacing them with Alt return in the Excel cell??

  2. #2

    Re: I want to copy cell from word that includes line breaks to excel

    Saved from a previous post:

    If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters,
    then excel will bring them over as separate cells.

    One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique
    characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds.

    I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
    Select your table.
    Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)
    Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
    replace with: $$$$$ (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
    replace all

    Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special).

    Now copy the table into Excel.

    Edit|Replace
    Replace what: $$$$$
    Replace with: ctrl-j
    replace all.

    Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as many
    times as necessary).

  3. #3
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: I want to copy cell from word that includes line breaks to excel

    replace with ctlr-j does just that - the text string: "ctlr-j" is pasted - how does one get Excel to make the line breaks (I cannot see the equivalent of 'Special' like ^l has in Word's Replace Dialog box.