Can you create a LIST and DATA VALIDATION CRITERIA in same cell?

  1. #1
    Janet
    Guest

    Can you create a LIST and DATA VALIDATION CRITERIA in same cell?

    I have 7 cells in a column. In each cell in the range, I want the only
    choice for entry to be TRUE. (If the statement isn't TRUE they will leave
    blank.) I also want to specify Data Validation Criteria and generate an
    error message so that if a user enters TRUE in more than 1 of the cells in
    the range, an error message will be generated telling the user they can only
    have True in only 1 of the 7 cells in the range. Can this be done and if so,
    how?

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Can you create a LIST and DATA VALIDATION CRITERIA in same cell?

    Hi!

    Do you mean that you have a drop down list in each of these 7 cells and the
    only selection available is TRUE ?

    If so, see if this is to you liking:

    Assume the range of cells is A1:A7

    Enter TRUE in some cell, say, J1.

    J1 = TRUE

    Select the range A1:A7
    Goto Data>Validation
    Allow: List
    Source:

    =IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$7,TRUE)=0,J$1)

    Select the Input Message tab

    Enter a message something like this:

    You may only select TRUE once in these cells

    OK out.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ryan Christiansen
    Guest

    Re: Can you create a LIST and DATA VALIDATION CRITERIA in same cell?

    In the Data Validation dialog box you want to select Custom in the
    Allow list so that you can enter a formula.

    The following formula

    =NOT(AND(A1:A2))

    will prevent someone from entering TRUE in both cells A1 and A2, but I
    don't know if it's possible to do this for more than two cells at a
    time. I tried using a seven-cell range, but that only validates to be
    sure that not all seven cells are TRUE at the same time. I also tried
    using curly braces to enter it as an array formula, but that didn't
    help. Perhaps this reply will spark an idea in someone else.

    Sorry I wasn't any more help at this time.

    -Ryan