a formula which calculates empty cells

  1. #1

    a formula which calculates empty cells

    Hello, I have a row in which some cells have numbers and some cells are blank. To show an example of what this spreadsheet looks like have posted a jpg of it here; http://briefcase.yahoo.com/[email protected] It is example 1. This is just an example. My rows contain many more cells.
    What I am trying to calculate is the average # of consecutive blank cells in the row. In my example the answer would be 2.5 The total # of blank cells is 10 and there are a total of 4 areas of consecutive blank cells. 10/4=2.5 My question is what formula or combination of formula would I use for this calculation? I have been able to use the count formula (example #2 and #3 in the weblink) but, I can't figure out how to have excel tell me there are 4 areas of consecutive blank cells in this example.

    thank you for for time and consideration,

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: a formula which calculates empty cells

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Enter this formula in A3:

    Enter this formula in B3 and copy across to T3:

    =IF(B2<>"","",IF(AND(B2="",A2=""),"",MAX($A3:A3)+1))

    Then, to get the average number of empty cells:

    =COUNTBLANK(A2:T2)/MAX(A3:T3)

    Returns 2.5

    You may want to tweak the average formula just in case there are no EMPTY
    cells otherwise the formula will return a #DIV/0! error.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...