cut off number in excel cell vs. rounding

  1. #1

    cut off number in excel cell vs. rounding

    Dear Reader,

    I have got following simple problem that seems to be hard to solve:

    I have an AS 400 system calculation that adds $ amounts on the
    condition that all decimal places bigger than 2 are cut off. Finally
    the total of all these numbers is calculated.

    Now these numbers are read out into excel but with their full length of
    decimal places which is often more than 2 decimal places. If I round
    these numbers the total as well as each number differs from the total
    cell number I get when every decimal place bigger than 2 is cut off.

    The only way to fix that so far is deleting the decimal places of each
    number manually. That took me hours.

    Isn't there any trick to shorten this "waste of time"?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Say your values are in A:A. Insert a column to the right. Select your range of values. Go to Data>Text to Columns. Select Fixed Width in step one. In Step two insert a break after your second decimal place. Click Next and Finish. Delete column B where your extra decimal place values are.

    If you'd rather use a formula you could use,

    =VALUE(FIXED(A1,2))

    Copy down you range as needed.

    HTH

    Steve

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: cut off number in excel cell vs. rounding

    Use the Trunc() function.

    =Round(12.2156,2)
    Returns 12.22

    =Trunc(12.2156,2)
    Returns 12.21
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: cut off number in excel cell vs. rounding

    Round them down

    =ROUNDDOWN(A1,2)

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: cut off number in excel cell vs. rounding

    Can you give us a sample of the actual data? Do the numbers have a variety
    of decimals and a variety of digits before the decimal?

  6. #6
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Disregard my formula. FIXED still rounds up. TRUNC or ROUNDDOWN would be what you are looking for. Sorry for the erroneous post. The Text to Columns solution would work as well.

    HTH

    Steve