HELP: can no longer open protected file in XP

  1. #1

    HELP: can no longer open protected file in XP

    All,

    I have a 1.3 meg spreadsheet file in excel (office XP suite). I used
    the password protection feature to keep others who share my PC from
    being able to open the file at will. Worked fine for a few weeks.

    Now when I try to open the file I get the standard message saying file
    cannot be accessed... may be read-only... server may be busy.... NONE
    of which are true. Excel does not even ask for the password -- never
    gets that far. Other excel file open just fine.

    How do I force excel to open this file? Is there a switch I can
    include with the filename that includes the password ? can I extract
    the data? This is a very important file. Any help will be GREATLY
    appreciated. TIA,

    David

    PS., This is my first time trying to open since installing IE 7 beta 3.

  2. #2
    BoredAtWork
    Guest

    Re: HELP: can no longer open protected file in XP

    David,
    Have you looked at the properties of the file to see if someone changed
    the security settings there?
    Otherwise, sometimes you can get lucky if you copy the file to another
    location or email it to yourself and resave it to the desktop. It has
    a tendency of tricking the computer and releasing those types of
    errors. You may even want to try opening the email from another
    computer. Best of luck,
    Jay