Moving a selection...

  1. #1

    Moving a selection...

    I have what seems like a simple problem, but I am stumped to solve
    it...I hope I can explain it clearly.

    Lets say I have 4 columns I have selected. A:D. When I press down to
    go down to the next row, my selection disapears. Is there anway to
    select "lock" my 4 column selected as I scroll down through hundreds of
    rows of data? I am not trying to expand my selection, simply select
    the same four cells on each seperate row...

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Moving a selection...

    Not sure what you want to do but.............

    Select A1:D1 but do not lift your finger off the button.

    Start dragging down.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: Moving a selection...

    Sorry Gord. I wasnt clear.

    What you are suggesting would add the rows to my selection.

    What I want basically is to be able to move down a whole row at a time
    to so perform formating to specific rows.

    For example, lets say you want to bold, or change the background color
    of A1:D1 on certain rows. Well that could be accomplished by scrolling
    through your table with your mouse and CTRL+highlighting those 4
    columns for each row you wanted to modifiy.

    With several hundred rows, it would be much easier if I could select
    those 4 columns, or heck, even the whole row, and then just arrow down
    and "CTRL+B" each time I came across a row that needed to be bolded or
    whatever.

    However, by default Excel, when you highlight 4 columns, and then mouse
    down, your selection disapears, and it moves down one cell.

    I have searched all over, and I am suck. Any help is appreaciated.
    Thanks...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Moving a selection...

    You cannot do what you want.

    To select cells A through D on any random row requires that you select only
    those 4 cells manually.

    If there was a pattern to the rows' placement you could use VBA to select them
    all at once and format them.

    Gord