How Growth Trend Works

  1. #1
    Johnson
    Guest

    How Growth Trend Works

    Hi All,

    I am having trouble understanding how Custom Fill - Growth Trend works in
    Excel 2003.

    The data I have is:

    $ 23114 $24567 $22874 $27211

    When I seelect all those 4 cells, then right drag across 5 more cells and
    select Growth Trend, the results are:

    $27069 $28225 $29430 $30687 $31997

    I am confused as to how Excel arrives at those results i.e. what is the
    calculation it uses to get those numbers? Why is the first forecasted value
    ($27069) 99% of the previous value then the rest are 104% of their preceeding
    values?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, Johnson

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: How Growth Trend Works

    Johnson -

    The values are determined using an exponential fit (like the Add Trendline
    exponential function on a chart).

    You can get the same results using the array-entered worksheet function
    GROWTH(known_y's,known_x's,new_x's,const)
    where known_y's are your four values,
    known_x's are 1,2,3,4,
    new_x's are 5,6,7,8,9, and
    const is True.