Referencing Worksheets

  1. #1

    Referencing Worksheets

    I have a spreadsheet with 32 worksheets, one worksheet for each NFL football team. For example, one worksheet is named Arizona, one worksheet is named Atlanta, one worksheet is named Baltimore and one worksheet is named Washington. I also have a summary worksheet where I reference a cell in each worksheet. In the summary worksheet, I have each team listed in a separate row in column A:

    For example, Cell A2 says Arizona
    For example, Cell A3 says Atlanta
    For example, Cell A4 says Baltimore
    For example, Cell A33 says Washington

    In column B it references the same cell in each worksheet:

    For example, Cell B2 says =Arizona!B20
    For example, Cell B3 says =Atlanta!B20
    For example, Cell B4 says =Baltimore!B20
    For example, Cell B33 says =Washington!B20

    Is there a way I can write one equation in cells B2 through B33 that works for all the cells. The name of the team worksheet is already listed in column A and I want the equation in column B to go to the worksheet listed in column A and then return the contents of cell B20.

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Referencing Worksheets

    Hi Cincy,

    on B2 enter
    =indirect(address(20,2,1,1,a2))
    copy it down

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3

    Re: Referencing Worksheets

    =indirect("'" & a2 & "'!b20")

    and drag down.

  4. #4
    Thanks. Both approaches worked but when I inserted a column in one of the team worksheets I noticed the mentioned equations did not return the correct result because it referred to a fixed cell in the team worksheet.

  5. #5
    Marcelo
    Guest

    Re: Referencing Worksheets

    Cincy, the address function have :

    20 = row number
    2 = column number

    Change the number 2 for the new column the information is
    a=1
    b=2
    c=3
    etc