Pivot table group dates

  1. #1
    RD Wirr
    Guest

    Pivot table group dates

    I have a pivot table based on a medium sized set of data (5500 rows). In the
    left column of the pivot table I have regular dates wich gives me almost the
    same number of row in the pivot table. When I try to group the date field, I
    get the error message "Cannot group that selection". I have no blanks in the
    field of date. On some other similar pivot tables it work but for some reason
    not this one... What causes this and how do I get past it?
    Thanks in advance,
    RDW

  2. #2

    Re: Pivot table group dates

    Do you have any text in that field?

    Are you sure the range you used to build the pivottable didn't go past what you
    think is the last row?

    When I'm sure I did everything ok, but excel is sure I didn't, I'll rebuild the
    pivottable. Sometimes that works for me.

  3. #3
    RD Wirr
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table group dates

    Thanks Dave,

    Sure enough it was text in the date field. Hard to find sometimes. Thanks
    for the tips.

    Rgds,
    RD Wirr

  4. #4

    Re: Pivot table group dates

    If it happens again, you could at least check to see how many numbers are in a
    range (and dates are just numbers).

    =count(a2:a9999)

    And compare that with the number of cells in that range (9998 in my example).