File cannot be accessed

  1. #1
    KMc
    Guest

    File cannot be accessed

    I try to open a file I've been using everyday for 3 months and suddenly I get
    a message that states "'File.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be
    read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
    server the document is stored on may not be responding." Now the file is not
    read only since I can look at the properties and the memory stick that the
    file is on is responding because all of the other files on it are able to be
    opened without a problem. I also can open the file in WordPad but it opens
    with some text but mostly odd characters. Any suggestions on recovering the
    data and opening the file?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: File cannot be accessed

    "KMc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I try to open a file I've been using everyday for 3 months and suddenly I
    >get
    > a message that states "'File.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be
    > read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
    > server the document is stored on may not be responding." Now the file is
    > not
    > read only since I can look at the properties and the memory stick that the
    > file is on is responding because all of the other files on it are able to
    > be
    > opened without a problem. I also can open the file in WordPad but it
    > opens
    > with some text but mostly odd characters. Any suggestions on recovering
    > the
    > data and opening the file?

    Safer not to use a memory stick, but to copy the file to hard disk.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    KMc
    Guest

    Re: File cannot be accessed

    Thanks, but that doesn't help me since the file is on a memory stick. I have
    copied to the hard drive but it still doesn't open in excel.

    KMc