Formula Question:don't mess up the math

  1. #1
    dramajuana
    Guest

    Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    Okay, I don't really know how to word this, so I'm sorry if it sounds awkward.

    I'm trying to set up Excel so that it can basically be my checkbook registry
    so that I don't mess up the math. So, I have a column for debits (D), one for
    credits (E) and one for the running balance (F).

    Is there a forumla that I can apply to column F that will see what's in D
    and E for that row, add or subtract what's there, and then apply that to the
    previous row's F? Or do I just have to do separate forumlas for each row...?

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    In your very 1st Row you could enter your debits and credits and this formula
    in column F: =E2-D2 (assuming your data starts in row two due to headings.)

    Then in the next cell down in column F put this formula: =F2+E3-D3
    Then copy this formula down as needed in column F. It should look at your
    previous balance (in F) then add the credit and subtract the debit to create
    a new balance.

  3. #3
    dramajuana
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    That's actually exactly what I've been doing. I was just wondering if there
    was a forumla I could apply to the column so I didn't have to do that for
    every row.

  4. #4
    Marcelo
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    Hi Dramajuana,

    on F column use:

    =(if(or(d3=0,d3="")),f2+d3,f2-c3)

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  5. #5
    Marcelo
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    sory my mistake on the formulae

    use =if(d3>0,f2+d3,f2-e3)

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  6. #6
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    dramajuana,

    I would suggest a slight change to the formula:

    =IF(AND(D2="",E2=""),"",F1+D2-E2)

    This will leave the cell looking blank if there is no data in D2 or E2.

    Copy this down as far a you need by using the fill handle - select the cell
    then hover the cursor over the bottom left corner where there is a small
    black square whereupon the cursor will change to black cross -hairs, left
    click and drag down. Or highlight the range of cells that you want the
    formula in including the one with the formula then select Edit > Fill > Down

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    re: Formula Question:don't mess up the math

    Why re-invent the wheel?

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...186511033.aspx

    --
    HTH,