Shortcut key for displaying the active cell comment

  1. #1
    Tonso
    Guest

    Shortcut key for displaying the active cell comment

    I want to simplify the data entry in a spreadsheet. Currently the user
    has to refer to an 11 x 14 sheet with tables front and back to
    determine what value to enter in a cell. I have used the copy picture
    function to create a series of tables in Excel and place them into cell
    comments in the appropriate cells. In an efffort to speed up data entry
    even more, I was wonderfing if there was a shortcut key to show, then
    hide again, the comment so the user would not have to reach to the
    mouse and place it on the current cell in order to see the comment.
    Since the sheet is full of comments, only the current cell should be
    affected. Is there a shortcut key to accomplish this by showing/hiding
    the current comment, or do I need a macro to toggle the current comment
    on and off? And if so,how?

    Thanks, and thanks to all who share their time and expertise to help
    others. Your efforts add so much to the value of Excel!

    Tonso

  2. #2
    Tonso
    Guest

    Re: Shortcut key for displaying the active cell comment

    I wrote a macro to toggle comments on/of...works fine.

    ActiveCell.Comment.Visible = Not ActiveCell.Comment.Visible

    Now, another question. I used Ctrl-Shift-C as my shortcut key. since
    this macro will be invoked repeatedly, can i instead not use the
    "shift" key, but use, say....Ctrl "x" or some other key? must you
    always use the "Shift". If so , why?

    Thanks

    Tonso

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Shortcut key for displaying the active cell comment

    Tonso

    The SHIFT key is unnecessary except as a means of avoiding duplication with the
    Excel CTRL default shortcut keys.

    Even then there are a few CTRL + SHIFT keys you could duplicate.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Tonso
    Guest

    Re: Shortcut key for displaying the active cell comment

    Thanks for the info Gord!

    Tonso