Finding text strings in complex situations

  1. #1
    Hardel
    Guest

    Finding text strings in complex situations

    Hello,

    I need to find all the text strings, which matches to certain criteria.
    Briefly, I have a criterium "test". Then, I'm interested in the rows which
    have "test" string in a column B. I'm looking for the text strings in the
    column C, which correspond the rows according to "test" criterium. I have to
    eliminate all the duplicate and blank values and finally concatenate rest of
    the values.

    VLOOKUP just returns the first match, which can even be blank. In theory, I
    could use the OFFSET and MATCH -functions for all the matches, changing the
    reference to correspond the next row from the previous match and continue.
    However, there are so many matches that it would be impossible to link so
    many loops.

    DGET would be an ideal function, only if it could handle the multiple
    matches. If there was an IS-function to #NUM!- and #VALUE errors
    particularly, I could determine, if there are matches for the criteria.

    Array functions don't seem to solve this problem either, because the rows
    which corresponds the criterium are in disorder, so I can't get an array,
    which would correspond the criterium.

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    If I understand you correctly, you want to identify all records where the
    word "test" appears in Column B AND Column C. Alternatively, you may be
    looking for instances where the word "test" appears in Column B AND other,
    specific words in Column C.

    If you could clarify the position I will try to help.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hardel
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    Thanks for the answer.

    Actually, I have a few other criteria in other columns, but it's not
    important. You could imagine I only have one criterion in column B. I'd like
    to get all the values in column C returned. So, for example:

    Column B | Column C
    oiasdfj | joko
    test | correct match
    test | another correct match
    spjas | spdo
    test |
    test | correct match

    In this case, I would like to get the result: correct match / another
    correct match

    So, the function should remove the double match: "correct match" and the
    empty cell, which actually contains the reference. The reference in that cell
    doesn't return a value, but Excel don't think it's an empty cell because of
    the reference. I can't make the difference between the "empty" cell and teh
    other cells because Excel thinks both of them contains text and none of them
    contains number (ISTEXT, ISNUMBER).

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    Can't you apply an autofilter to column B for "test" and then a custom
    filter to C for "Not blank" or Contains... "match"?

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Hardel
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    Unfortunately, filters aren't convenient because I don't have a permission to
    change the "database" document. I just have to search the information from
    that file according the criteria. Certainly, I could filter the document,
    then copy and paste as values, but this is all I am trying to get rid of: to
    avoid manual work, because I get new versions all the time.

  6. #6
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    If you don't have permission to change the spreadsheet, can you highlight
    the whole of the spreadsheet (Click on the square immediately at the
    north-west corner) and paste it a new spreadsheet and work on it there?

  7. #7
    Hardel
    Guest

    Re: Finding text strings in complex situations

    Yes, I could. But I'm trying to get rid of that kind of manual work. My
    target is the solution which could be updated to correspond the new version
    just by "updating links".