Is there a way to insert a tick in an Excel cell by a key stroke?

  1. #1
    Kirk
    Guest

    Is there a way to insert a tick in an Excel cell by a key stroke?

    I want to be able to insert a tick mark (only) in a cell. Is there an easier
    way to do this than going through the insert menu every time and using the
    tick symbol? Ideally a simple key stroke would be ideal. I am using Excel 2003

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk
    I want to be able to insert a tick mark (only) in a cell. Is there an easier
    way to do this than going through the insert menu every time and using the
    tick symbol? Ideally a simple key stroke would be ideal. I am using Excel 2003
    What character is the tick mark?

    Scott

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to insert a tick in an Excel cell by a key stroke?

    Try

    Marlett font and the letter a

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to insert a tick in an Excel cell by a key stroke?

    In Wingding 2,
    Char(80) and Char(82) return "ticks" (check marks).

    In 'regular' fonts, 80 and 82 are "P" and "R" respectively.

    So ... format your cell(s) to Wingdings 2,
    And then simply type upper case
    or upper case

    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5

    Re: Is there a way to insert a tick in an Excel cell by a key stroke?

    One more option...

    Instead of using a checkmark, use the cell in column A and format it to show a
    check if there's something in that cell.

    Select column A (A2:A65536 if you have headers in row 1)
    format|cells|number tab|custom category
    In the "type:" box, put this:

    alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

    But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
    keypad.

    It should look something like this when you're done.
    ü;ü;ü;ü
    (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

    And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

    Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
    mark.

    Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

    Now apply Data|filter|autofilter to your range.
    filter by column A (to show non-blanks)

    And if you have to ever find out if that row is "checked", you can use a formula
    like:

    =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

    You can just see if the cell is empty.