Excel Sounds

  1. #1

    Excel Sounds

    Does anyone know how to get Excel to make a sound when a certain condition is true? I want an audible alert for when a certain value is obtained in a cell.

  2. #2
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Excel Sounds

    Example follows:-

    In a standard code module enter the following:
    Const WFile As String = "C:\WINNT\Media\Ringin.Wav"
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _
    Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

    Function Alarm(Cell As Range, Condition As String) As String
    If Not IsNumeric(Cell.Value) Then
    Alarm = "Enter a number you idiot !!!"
    ElseIf Evaluate(Cell.Value & Condition) Then
    Call PlaySound(WFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)
    Alarm = "Answer the phone !!!"
    ElseIf Not Evaluate(Cell.Value & Condition) Then
    Alarm = "Get back to work !!!"
    End If
    End Function

    You will likely have to replace the path shown above to the wave file of
    your choice. The following line likely needs to be corrected:
    Const WFile As String = "C:\WINNT\Media\Ringin.Wav"

    In cell B1 enter the formula:
    =Alarm(A1, "=100")
    Now in cell A1 enter miscellaneous values (numbers or text). The sound
    should fire only when you enter the number 100. You can change the criterion
    to whatever you like. Enter it in quotes. If you want the sound to fire when
    the number is greater than or equal to 10 then enter ">=10".

    Regards,
    Greg

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Excel Sounds

    BTW, you don't need a worksheet formula to fire the sound. It can be set up
    so that the Workseet_Change event fires the sound.

    Greg