Excel file size increases when editing same info

  1. #1
    Ron Bevan
    Guest

    Excel file size increases when editing same info

    I have a (small) Excel workbook, containing 2 worksheets. The one sheet uses
    the range A1 to T49, and the other sheet uses A1 to Q76. Theses ranges remain
    almost always the same, with just the number of rows, on the one sheet only,
    sometimes increasing or decreasing by 1 or 2.
    This workbook is manually updated, almost daily, by deleting/re-typing
    and/or cutting/pasting throughout the 2 worksheets.
    Each day, when this file is editied, the file size increases. It started at
    about 300KB and now, after about 10 edits, is up to almost 1.7MB. There are
    no macros, and the formatting is limited to only font size, column width, and
    some date formatting.

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Excel file size increases when editing same info

    Ron,

    Are you INSERTING new rows before typing or cutting/pasting and then
    deleting the data from other old rows?

    I had similar problems to this on one occassion - I'm still not sure
    what causes it but I have a feeling that some non printing characters
    may be left lying around; perhaps someone can enlighten us - but I did
    control the file size issue by deleting the old rows rather than just
    deleting the data they contain.

    Regards,

    Alan

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Hi Ron

    This is a known issue with excel.

    Try this trick
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl..._21236404.html
    It will reduce the size.

    Thanks
    Denis

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Excel file size increases when editing same info

    So what is the answer Denis?

    It is v. difficult to track replies like this without subscribing to a
    vast multiplicity of forums across the Net.