How do I create a custom number format in Excel using a symbol?

  1. #1
    mbuckrell
    Guest

    How do I create a custom number format in Excel using a symbol?

    I'm setting up a spreadsheet which uses the area of a building (square feet)
    and would like to create a custom number format that displays the area using
    the symbol for square (ft^2).

  2. #2
    Lamb Chop
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a custom number format in Excel using a symbol?

    You can either use the character map or input it by yourself by using the
    keypad.

    Character map:
    ===========
    start, program, Accessaries > system tools, Character map. Then you can
    find your square sign.
    Then use your copy and paste etc method to get the square sign.

    Input by your keypad (do not use the number above the alphabet keys on
    !@#$%^&*() etc

    type ft in a cell (do not hit enter)
    then press the Alt key and then using the Keypad type : 0178

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a custom number format in Excel using a symbol?

    Create a "Custom" format and enclose your text in quotes:

    --
    HTH,

    RD