Problems with number formats when using Find/Replace

  1. #1
    bill
    Guest

    Problems with number formats when using Find/Replace

    I have a list of numbers formatted as text, for instance 1648-50, 1648-56,
    0932-73, etc.

    When I run the Replace function, trying to replace all the dashes with
    periods (while keeping the same format--because I need the leading zeroes),
    this happens:

    0932-73 becomes 932.73, 1648-50 becomes 1648.5, and so on.

    When I check the formatting of the cells, they're all still listed as
    "Text", and this happens even if I specify that the number format of the
    replacement should be text. What's the deal? Is there any way to keep this
    from happening?

  2. #2

    Re: Problems with number formats when using Find/Replace

    Are these in a single column?

    If yes, then I'd insert an adjacent column and use a formula:

    =substitute(a1,"-",".")

    This will keep the value a string.

    You can edit|copy, edit|paste special|values and delete the original column if
    you want.

  3. #3
    bill
    Guest

    Re: Problems with number formats when using Find/Replace

    that worked perfectly.

    thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    MAJones
    Guest

    RE: Problems with number formats when using Find/Replace

    You can also use custom formatting to get you leading zeroes