how to copy cells which gaps exist between?

  1. #1
    Jared
    Guest

    how to copy cells which gaps exist between?

    I need to copy cells with gaps between:
    for example: a1 a3 a5 a7 and paste them with the gaps meaning that when i
    paste them there will still be 1 cell apart, but i do not want to copy the
    blank cells which exist in between.

    thanks jared

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY
    Do you mean you want to copy the data on the left and paste it so it looks like the data on the right? IF so you can highlight the entire range on the left, press F5, select "Special" at the bottom of the dialog box and click the radio button for "Constants" and then click "OK". Right click on one of the selected cells and copy the data. Select a destination cell and right click and select paste et voila!

    ONLY APPLIES TO VBA RESPONSES WHERE APPROPRIATE
    To insert code into the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    1. Copy the code.
    2. Open workbook to paste code into.
    3. Right click any worksheet tab, select View Code
    4. VBE (Visual Basic Editor) opens to that sheets object
    5. You may change to another sheets object or the This Workbook object by double clicking it in the Project window
    6. In the blank space below the word "General" paste the copied code.

  3. #3
    Jared
    Guest

    Re: how to copy cells which gaps exist between?

    Actucally i will probably need to rephrase the question:

    let say that the cells which exist are: a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6
    the only ones which contain information are: a1,a3,a5
    how do i copy them to a differenet location so that when i paste them into
    b1. the cells which will contain information will be b1 b3 and b5 and not b1
    b2 and b3

    the tricky part is not copying the blank cells between.

    jared

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY

    Exclamation

    Are you trying to tell us that there is already data in cells b2,b4, and b6 that you don't want disturbed? IF so you can do the following:
    1. Highlight the entire range of cells b1 through b6
    2. Click F5 and select "Special"
    3. Click the "Blanks" radio button
    4. Type in +A1 and hit CTL ENTER
    5. Highlight the range b1 through b6 again and click "Copy"
    6. Paste Special Values so that the formulas now become values

  8. #8
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY
    Are you trying to tell us that there is already data in cells b2,b4, and b6 that you don't want disturbed? IF so you can do the following:

    Highlight the entire range of cells b1 through b6
    Click F5 and select "Special"
    Click the "Blanks" radio button
    Type in +A1 and hit CTL ENTER