Drop down data validation

  1. #1
    Stephen Reid
    Guest

    Drop down data validation

    Hi

    I know how to create drop down lists in data validation but I am looking to
    get a little extra. Currently I create a list in A1:A10 create a range name
    for the list and then use that named range in the data validation screen.
    However, what I want now is:

    Create a list in A1:A10 and a description in B1:B10 for example:

    A B
    1001 Coffee
    1002 Tea
    1003 Hot Chocolate

    I would like the to see both the name and the description in the drop down
    but once selected only select the data from column A. Don't know if this
    can be done, but any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Stephen

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Drop down data validation

    You could use the Active-X Control Combobox;

    On your spreadsheet - Go (at the menu) View, Toolbars, Control Toolbox;
    1) Drag a ComboBox to a clear space.
    2) Click on the Properties icon on toolbox - Prop Sheet shoud come up.
    3) Fill In the following settings:
    a) ListFillRange (G1:H10) ' your lookup range
    b) LinkedCell: A1 - Where you want your choice dropped
    c) Column Count: 2 ' your # of columns to show
    d) BoundColumn: 1 ' the column Number you want to select to post

    Click on the TOP LEFT ICON (the design-mode) to turn-off and make
    The Combo box available for use;
    Give it a try

    Hope this helps

    news:[email protected]:

  3. #3
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Drop down data validation

    have a named range that is actually A1&" "&B1
    when you select your item use say vlookup(result,a1:a10,1,false)
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Stephen Reid
    Guest

    Re: Drop down data validation

    Thanks Jim, I had thought about this but wasn't 100% sure how to do it.

  5. #5
    Stephen Reid
    Guest

    Re: Drop down data validation

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply, I had tried playing around with this kind of solution
    but couldn't getting it working. Would you mind going into a bit more
    detail?

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop down data validation

    You can do this with programming. There's a sample file here:

    Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0005 - Data Validation "Columns"'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures