Determining Aircraft arrival times

  1. #1

    Determining Aircraft arrival times

    Hello:
    I've spent a good while searching thru forums and websites trying to figure this one out, so I'm hoping that someone who knows how to make this work will chip in.
    I work with aircraft arrivals to worldwide destinations, so lots of time zones can be factored in to the answer. My tracking system gives me the time in minutes that the aircraft will take to reach it's final destination, for example 408 minutes. I've converted that to hours, no problem. I would like to use the =now() function to get the current local time, but it displays the date as well in the particular cell. I can then add those two times and get a reasonably good answer. However, when I try to convert the times from local time to GMT (or Zulu/UTC), I keep getting errors. I'm in Washington, DC which is 4 hours behind GMT. I'm thinking that its reading the cell as a formula and not a value, so I have to go manually from there to convert to different time zones. Am I missing some easy but elusive step?

    Thanks in advance......

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Determining Aircraft arrival times

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:37:23 -0400, gregor49
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello:
    >I've spent a good while searching thru forums and websites trying to
    >figure this one out, so I'm hoping that someone who knows how to make
    >this work will chip in.
    >I work with aircraft arrivals to worldwide destinations, so lots of
    >time zones can be factored in to the answer. My tracking system gives
    >me the time in minutes that the aircraft will take to reach it's final
    >destination, for example 408 minutes. I've converted that to hours, no
    >problem. I would like to use the =now() function to get the current
    >local time, but it displays the date as well in the particular cell. I
    >can then add those two times and get a reasonably good answer. However,
    >when I try to convert the times from local time to GMT (or Zulu/UTC), I
    >keep getting errors. I'm in Washington, DC which is 4 hours behind GMT.
    >I'm thinking that its reading the cell as a formula and not a value, so
    >I have to go manually from there to convert to different time zones. Am
    >I missing some easy but elusive step?
    >
    >Thanks in advance......

    You don't provide enough information to know what the problem is. So you
    probably missing something simple.

    What kind of error? What are the formulas you are using.

    To convert EDT to UTC:

    =NOW() + TIME(4,,)

    or

    =NOW() + 4/24