Borders not allowed

  1. #1

    Question Borders not allowed

    For some reason I have opened a spreadsheet that was sent to me and I cannot put a border on any cells.

    I am able to edit all cells and there does no appear to be any protection.

    I am even able to remove the existing borders but once I have done that I cannot put them back on.

    I also cannot use the format painter.

    any clues as to why this is happening???

  2. #2
    J-Mac
    Guest

    Re: Borders not allowed

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:24:21 -0400, Pedros
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For some reason I have opened a spreadsheet that was sent to me and I
    >cannot put a border on any cells.
    >
    >I am able to edit all cells and there does no appear to be any
    >protection.
    >
    >I am even able to remove the existing borders but once I have done that
    >I cannot put them back on.
    >
    >I also cannot use the format painter.
    >
    >any clues as to why this is happening???

    Sounds like whomever sent the file to you marked it as Read Only,
    indicating that they wanted you to be able to read it - but not change
    it in any way.

    If you think that they did not mean for it to be Read Only, contact
    the sender and ask them to send it again with full rights.

    --
    J-Mac

  3. #3
    But I would have thought that if it was read only I would not have been able to do things such as edit or delete the contents of the cells.

    Even once I saved the spreadsheet under a different name on my hard drive it still does not allow me to add borders.

    strange.

  4. #4

    Re: Borders not allowed

    I don't think it would be a file marked as readonly--that would stop you from
    saving it as the same name--not making changes.

    Is the worksheet protected?

    If it isn't...

    The only time I've seen this is when the original workbook was created in a
    different program--crystal reports or Lotus 123.

    There were areas that I couldn't format. But if I included a few "sacrificial"
    cells in my selection, made my changes to all of them, the formatting would
    take.

    Then I went back and fixed the sacrificial cells to the way they were supposed
    to be. (Try a cell way out of the way of where the data really is.)

    ===
    You may want to try copying the cells, then paste special formulas and paste
    special formats into a new worksheet to see if you can format the cells then.