Function to show percentage of tasks complete

  1. #1
    Mirthrindr
    Guest

    Function to show percentage of tasks complete

    This is a simplified example of what I am working with. In Excel 2003, say I
    have 10 rows of ‘Tasks’ that include 3 columns of info, Task Name, Date
    Completed, and Completed By.

    I would like to be able to a cell at the bottom of the spreadsheet that
    shows the number of tasks that have been completed as a percentage of the
    total number of ‘Completed By’ fields (10 in this case).

    Since the data is text data and not numbers, I wasn’t sure how to do this,
    but I was hoping there was a relatively easy way for Excel to examine the
    contents of the cells in say the ‘Completed By’ column, and note whether
    there was a value in the field or if it is blank, and then give me a
    percentage of the ‘Completed By’ fields that are populated with something,
    versus the one’s that are still empty. Thus telling me the percent of the
    task that are currently complete.

    Thanks in advance folks, I great appreciate any adice.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Function to show percentage of tasks complete

    Let's assume the Task Names are in A2:A11 and the Completed By in C2:C11
    How about =COUNTA(C2:C11)/10 to get the fraction (ratio) of completed tasks
    and just format this with the percentage button (that's all a percentage is:
    a ratio times 100)
    Now to be more general use =COUNTA(C2:C11)/COUNTA(A2:A11)
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme