Minimum qualifiers to Find (VBA) the actual last used Row, Column

  1. #1
    EagleOne
    Guest

    Minimum qualifiers to Find (VBA) the actual last used Row, Column

    2003

    Have played with the following VBA code arguments but all seem to give
    same result whether included or excluded:

    Cells.Find( _
    What:="*", _
    after:=ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1), _
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
    lookat:=xlWhole, _
    SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows) _
    .Row

    What is the minimum set of arguements to always fine the last used row?

    Why does not appear to make any difference to the end result, if I
    include or exclude the following - what am I missing?
    after:=ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1), _
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
    lookat:=xlWhole, _
    SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows) _
    .Row

    Thanks, EagleOne

  2. #2

    Re: Minimum qualifiers to Find (VBA) the actual last used Row, Column

    Excel and VBA work together with .Find. They each remember the parameters in
    the previous Find (either manually or via code).

    Because of this, your testing is just testing the last set of parms that were
    used. And that's one very good reason to specify all the parms you want--if you
    don't specify them, then you'll be trusting that the last Find that was done
    used the same parms as the ones you want.

  3. #3
    EagleOne
    Guest

    Re: Minimum qualifiers to Find (VBA) the actual last used Row, Column

    Very interesting!

    Dave, what other Excel/VBA functions "remember" previous settings?

    EagleOne

  4. #4

    Re: Minimum qualifiers to Find (VBA) the actual last used Row, Column

    I don't know.

    I do know that data|text to columns tries to help when you do it one time, then
    paste from a different application.