Add formula to a column of numbers

  1. #1
    steve
    Guest

    Add formula to a column of numbers

    Basic question Im sure.
    I have a list of numbers

    etc.

    and I want to use this formula on them.
    =CEILING(#####,100)

    How can I easily add the format or formula (what ever it is called) to
    the whole list eg so the column looks like this.

    =CEILING(23456,100)
    =CEILING(45677,100)
    =CEILING(34567,100)

    When I put the fomula in the first line and then drag the corner of
    this cell down , it just copies the first line over the others and does
    not add the formula to each line.

    =CEILING(23456,100)
    =CEILING(23456,100)
    =CEILING(23456,100)
    =CEILING(23456,100)

    Thanks Im sure this is basic. Im using XL 97

    Regards

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Add formula to a column of numbers

    Try

    =CEILING(A1,100)

    and copy down.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Add formula to a column of numbers

    Say your data is in A1:Axxxx

    Then put your formula in B1
    =ceiling(a1,100)
    and drag down that column.

    Excel will adjust that A1 reference to point at the cell in the same row.

    If you want you can hide Column A or you could
    select column B
    edit|copy
    edit|paste special|values
    and delete column A.

  4. #4
    steve

    Bob Phillips wrote:
    > Try
    >
    > =CEILING(A1,100)
    >
    > and copy down.
    >
    > --
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Bob Phillips
    >
    > (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    >
    > "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Basic question Im sure.
    > > I have a list of numbers
    > >
    > > 23456
    > > 45677
    > > 34567
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > and I want to use this formula on them.
    > > =CEILING(#####,100)
    > >
    > > How can I easily add the format or formula (what ever it is called) to
    > > the whole list eg so the column looks like this.
    > >
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(45677,100)
    > > =CEILING(34567,100)
    > >
    > > When I put the fomula in the first line and then drag the corner of
    > > this cell down , it just copies the first line over the others and does
    > > not add the formula to each line.
    > >
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > >
    > > Thanks Im sure this is basic. Im using XL 97
    > >
    > > Regards

    This doesnt really work as it deletes the data in a1 if you put it in
    a1.

  5. #5
    steve

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > Say your data is in A1:Axxxx
    >
    > Then put your formula in B1
    > =ceiling(a1,100)
    > and drag down that column.
    >
    > Excel will adjust that A1 reference to point at the cell in the same row.
    >
    > If you want you can hide Column A or you could
    > select column B
    > edit|copy
    > edit|paste special|values
    > and delete column A.
    >
    > steve wrote:
    > >
    > > Basic question Im sure.
    > > I have a list of numbers
    > >
    > > 23456
    > > 45677
    > > 34567
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > and I want to use this formula on them.
    > > =CEILING(#####,100)
    > >
    > > How can I easily add the format or formula (what ever it is called) to
    > > the whole list eg so the column looks like this.
    > >
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(45677,100)
    > > =CEILING(34567,100)
    > >
    > > When I put the fomula in the first line and then drag the corner of
    > > this cell down , it just copies the first line over the others and does
    > > not add the formula to each line.
    > >
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > > =CEILING(23456,100)
    > >
    > > Thanks Im sure this is basic. Im using XL 97
    > >
    > > Regards

    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson

    This is a possible solution accept that it creates a second column, so
    that you must hide the first column.

    Regards

  6. #6

    Re: Add formula to a column of numbers

    Or

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Add formula to a column of numbers

    You put it in B1. No formula can work in a cell as well as the value.