Links won't update unless files are actually opened

  1. #1
    BretJacobs
    Guest

    Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    Having a tough time working with a linked file. I created a summary report
    that links to multiple unique separate worksheets. Links will not update
    (even if all varieties of F9 are tried [shift, ctrl, etc]) unless the
    individual files are open also. All files are stored on my laptop's hard
    drive, and are not mapped to any network drive.

    I know that is NOT the way the links are supposed to work, as I have used
    links many many times before. However, is there some trick to Office 2003
    that I am missing?

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    Brett,

    In your linked work book, have you tried

    >Edit >Links >Update Values

    HTH

    Michael

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SimonCC
    Guest

    RE: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    If the calculation under Tools | Options is already set to automatic, try
    going to Edit | Links and make sure Update is selected as Automatic. Also
    check the Startup Prompt there to make sure it's not selected as Don't
    display the altert and don't update automatic links.

    -Simon

  4. #4
    BretJacobs
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    Yes I have, and to the other reply, yes the Update dialog box shows when the
    file is first opened.

    If I try ">Edit >Links >Update Values", with the source files unopened, all
    of the values go to #Ref, and from the "Edit, Links" menu, the status shows
    "Error: Source not found".

    Opening the source workbooks then causes all of the references to update,
    automatically.

    The source workbooks are Exports from Crystal Reports, could that have
    anything to do with it?

  5. #5
    SimonCC
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    The export file from Crystal Reports, is it an Excel file? or is it like csv
    file and such? I think if it's not an Excel file, it wouldn't recognize the
    cell structure until opened.

    -Simon

  6. #6
    BretJacobs
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    The export file is an excel worsksheet (the result of a Crystal Reports
    export to excel), and it has an .xls extension.

  7. #7
    SimonCC
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    My only guess is that the export file is not the exact proper excel format
    even though it has an .xls extension. How about opening one of the exported
    files, and save it over as type Microsoft Office Excel Workbook with the same
    name. Then close that export file and open your summary report file to see
    if it would update. If that doesn't work I don't really know what else to
    recommend.

    -Simon

  8. #8
    BretJacobs
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    Simon,

    Believe it or not, simply opening the exported file then saving it (without
    renaming or otherwise manipulating anything) yields the expected result.

    It must be something in the export process. I'll try and discover exactly
    what the export options are on the Crystal Export, to see if we can nail down
    the exact problem.

    Who knew? Unfortunately there are 52 input files, so that's not an option
    to open them all each time we do an update.

    Oh well, thanks for your help!!!

  9. #9
    SimonCC
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    I haven't used Crystal Report before so I don't know how exactly the export
    process goes. You can try to look for an option where it specifies what
    version of Excel to export to. If there is such a thing, hopefully your
    version of Excel is on the list. Otherwise you might have to look for
    upgrades to your Crystal Report for compatibility to the latest version of
    Excel (or up to the Excel version you're using).

    An alternate way is to write a macro that opens and saves each of your many
    export files.

    -Simon

  10. #10
    doctorjones_md
    Guest

    Re: Links won't update unless files are actually opened

    Bret,

    I'm working on an "Update Links" issue that sounds similar to what you're
    doing. It will effectively open each workbook in a designated path
    (allowing them to update) then close them. Here's the macro code I'm
    working with:

    Put this in a general module of a workbook

    sub UpdateAllLinks()
    Dim vLinkSources
    Dim iLinkSource As Integer
    Dim AnySheet As Worksheet
    sPath = "C:\MyDummy\"
    sName = Dir(sPath & "*.xls")
    do while sName <> ""
    set bk = Workbook.Open(sPath & sName)
    For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name) _
    .Unprotect Password:="mypassword"
    Next
    vLinkSources = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
    If Not IsEmpty(vLinkSources) Then
    For iLinkSource = LBound(vLinkSources) To UBound(vLinkSources)
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink _
    vLinkSources(iLinkSource), xlExcelLinks
    Next
    End If
    For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name) _
    .Protect Password:="mypassword"
    Next
    bk.Close Savechanges:=True
    sName = Dir()
    Loop
    End Sub

    Put a command button on a worksheet in that workbook. Double click on it to
    get to the code

    Private Sub CommandButton1_click()
    UpdateAllLinks
    End sub

    NOTE: If you're workbooks aren't password protected, you can do away with
    the "Unprotect/Protect" portion of the code. I'm still trying to iron-out a
    couple of problems, but I'll let you know when I get it to work right.

    HTH

    news:[email protected]...