Vlookup: returning the value below the actual row

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb Vlookup: returning the value below the actual row

    I have data in following format.

    col A B
    1 aa
    ....bb
    2 cc
    ....dd
    3 ee
    ....ff
    I want to lookup value of say 2 in above data and return "dd" which is below the row in which 2 resides.
    what is the formula to do this and what if I want to return the value of 3rd row below the row the Vlookup value found in?

    regards
    Last edited by starguy; 08-03-2006 at 03:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup: returning the value below the actual row

    On the assumption that the number in column A only occurs once, then this
    will find the next row down. If you want other "offsets" then change the "+1"
    to "+2" etc,

    =INDEX(B1:B9,MATCH(2,A1:A9,0)+1)

    HTH

  3. #3

    offset

    Use
    activecell.offset(1).value

  4. #4
    Bondi

    starguy wrote:
    > I have data in following format.
    >
    > col A B
    > 1 aa
    > ...bb
    > 2 cc
    > ...dd
    > 3 ee
    > ...ff
    > I want to lookup value of say 2 in above data and return "dd" which is
    > below the row in which 2 resides.
    > what is the formula to do this and what if I want to return the value
    > of 3rd row below the row the Vlookup value found in?
    >
    > regards
    >

    > --
    > starguy
    > starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567782

    Hi,

    Maybe you can use a combination of MATCH and INDEX. Something along the
    lines of:

    =INDEX(B1:B6,MATCH(2,A1:A6)+1)

    If you want the next row just type +2

    Regards,