how to remove blank cells in excel

  1. #1
    Landa
    Guest

    how to remove blank cells in excel

    I have an excel table which contains hundreds of rows with variable columns
    (e.g. row 1 has data in 5 cells, row 2 has data in 10 cells etc). There are
    blank cells in some of the rows and they are not in a regular pattern. Is
    there any way I can remove all those blank cells?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

  2. #2
    nicojr
    Guest

    RE: how to remove blank cells in excel

    Hi Landa,

    As far as I know it it only possible to hide/unhide or group columns or rows
    in excel,
    when you think about it it would basically be impossible to hide seperate
    cells, for example, if I have an empty cell in column A, row 5, and I would
    hide that cell, cell B5 would have to shift into cell A5, and cause a lot of
    problems if you use cell references in formulas. I could be wrong, but I've
    never heard of that...

    Regards, Nico from the Netherlands

  3. #3
    JON JON
    Guest

    Re: how to remove blank cells in excel

    My suggestion not quite neat but you can give it a try.

    Insert a column in A. This will give you blank column at the start of your
    sheet
    In A1 write this formula =COUNTA(B1:IV1). if your does not start in A1,
    then adjust formula accordingly
    Drag the formula down up to your last row (Assuming A100). Those rows
    with no data will have zero (0) as a result
    Select A1 to A100.
    hit ctrl+c (copy)
    edit>paste special>values
    hit ctrl+h (find and replace). Find what: 0, Replace with: (do not type
    anything), check match entire cells (click option if you don't see it)
    hit ctrl+g (go to), click special, choose blanks, click Ok
    edit>delete>entire row

    Sorry for my wordings if it is hard to understand.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Landa
    Guest

    RE: how to remove blank cells in excel

    Thanks Nico. Yeah, it's probably impossible to do so, and I am doing it
    manually now, which is kinda tedious, so just want to see if there is quicker
    way out.
    Thanks anyway!

  5. #5
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: how to remove blank cells in excel

    "Landa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have an excel table which contains hundreds of rows with variable columns
    > (e.g. row 1 has data in 5 cells, row 2 has data in 10 cells etc). There
    > are
    > blank cells in some of the rows and they are not in a regular pattern. Is
    > there any way I can remove all those blank cells?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

    try here:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/noblanks.htm

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    press Ctrl+G to open Go To window
    click on special tab
    check Blanks, press Ok (all blank within your data range will be selected)
    now right click on selection and click delete... and check shift cells left then Ok
    now click on any cell to remove selection and again
    press Ctrl+G to open Go To window
    click on special tab
    check Blanks, press Ok (all blank within your data range will be selected)
    now right click on selection and click delete... and check shift cells up then Ok

    hope this would help you

    Quote Originally Posted by Landa

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    if you want to remove blank cells horizontally then do not repeat the procedure to shift cells up.

  8. #8
    Landa
    Guest

    RE: how to remove blank cells in excel

    Thank you all for your generous help!

  9. #9

    Auto Filter

    Autofilte can be another way..

    Select the column first then,
    Data>Filter>Autofilter>Blanks

    Select all rows (blindly) and delete them...