when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

  1. #1
    pmms
    Guest

    when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

    I have a worksheet with formulas. I have locked the appropriate fields that
    I do not want users to mess with and unlocked the fields they can mess
    with.....and then I protected the sheet. I wanted the user to enter data
    using a simple form (from the Data menu)......but it's not letting me. Is
    there a way around this? Or do I have to use the "vba form" stuff which I'm
    not having a lot of luck with?

    Thanks, in advance, for any helpful suggestions!
    Paula

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

    Works fine for me in XL 2003

    "not letting me" means what to you? Error message? Data>Form grayed out?

    What is the layout of the unlocked cells?

    Contiguous or not?

    You can try this...........

    Select the cells to be unlocked and Insert>Name>Define

    Name the range as "Database"(no quotes)

    Select Database from the name box then format>cells>protection>unlocked

    Protect the sheet and try the dataform again.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    pmms
    Guest

    Re: when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

    I'm using XL 2002.
    Actually, I'm able to get the form to show but it won't allow me to enter
    any new records. I've done what you suggested and still get the same result.
    So, the dataform shows but "New", "Delete" and "Restore" are grayed out.
    I'm able to scroll through the rows that are there but not enter new ones.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

    Apologies.

    I was doing something different and it appeared to work, but not!

    We'll have to keep looking.

    Gord

  5. #5
    pmms
    Guest

    Re: when you protect a sheet, you can't enter using a form

    Thanks.