How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

  1. #1
    DEVAR
    Guest

    How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    I have linked an Excel document to a Word document. The Word document has
    hyperlinks within it to navigate from the top index (sections 1-8) to the
    body of the same text. I am now being asked to refine it and link the
    sub-sections to one another. I.e. D3.2 Excel to the section D3.2 in Word
    instead of to the index which is hyperlinked. I have tried endlessly with no
    success. Any ideas? Window 2000 Professional.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    You have to have a bookmark in the Word document an in the link you have to add #bookmarkName to the hyperlink
    Best regards,

    Ray

  3. #3

    Re: How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    If I want a link in Excel that points at a specific location in an MSWord
    document, I'd add a bookmark to that document and use one of these:

    (Insert|hyperlink style)
    C:\MY DOCUMENTS\WORD\MyDoc.DOC#bkmk01
    Or
    =hyperlink() style:
    =hyperlink("C:\MY DOCUMENTS\WORD\MyDoc.DOC#bkmk01")

  4. #4
    DEVAR
    Guest

    Re: How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    I am still not certain how to create a bookmark in Word. I have tried but I
    guess I am writing the "formula" wrong in the hyperling field?

  5. #5

    Re: How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    Select a location in your word file.
    Insert|Bookmark

    (remember to save the file with the change)

  6. #6
    DEVAR
    Guest

    Re: How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    Thanx Dave. This confirms that I have been creating the bookmarks
    appropriately. The hyperlink field entry must be where I am going wrong.
    Here is what I do:
    ("\\long reference to Excel file\word.doc#D1_1) This does not work. I get
    an error indicating "unexpected error" with all variations I have tried.
    I have also tried this format using a file reference instead. I know my
    file reference is entered correctly as I have tested it on its own and it
    works.
    In this example, I do not understand where the peice "Quartely Profit
    Report" comes from : To create a hyperlink to a specific location in a
    Microsoft Word document, you must use a bookmark to define the location you
    want to jump to in the document. The following example creates a hyperlink to
    the bookmark named QrtlyProfits in the document named Annual Report.doc
    located at www.business.com:
    HYPERLINK("[http://www.business.com/Annual Report.doc]QrtlyProfits",
    "Quarterly Profit Report")
    Thanx again!

  7. #7

    Re: How to hyperlink to a specific location in a Word document?

    I know that the suggestions work when pointing to a file on my harddrive or on a
    network drive. And I'm confused where your MSWord document lives--on your
    harddrive or as a web page???

    I don't speak enough HTML to know how that works--but I'd try this:

    HYPERLINK("http://www.business.com/Annual%20Report.doc#QrtlyProfits",
    "Quarterly Profit Report")

    (%20 is HTML speak for a space character)

    If that doesn't work, maybe someone who does this stuff can chime in.)

    ========
    I'm not sure why you would use a "long reference to excel file" as the path to
    the word document, either.

    Maybe...

    =hyperlink("\\long reference to word doc\MyDoc.DOC#bkmk01")