Strange if(***) behaviour?

  1. #1
    Excel 2003 - SPB
    Guest

    Strange if(***) behaviour?

    I have typed the following in
    n20 =if(o20=1,"yes","No")
    when I type 1 into o20
    n20 becomes Yes
    the formula disappears it is not the only cell to have this problem
    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    That is the normal and intended behavior. The formula is placed in n20 and
    the formula says, in English, if the entry in o20 is a 1, then display "yes"
    in the cell in which the formula is located, which is n20 in your case. If
    o20 is not a 1, display "No". The formula has not gone anywhere, it is
    still in the cell. What is in the cell and what is displayed in the cell
    are not necessarily the same thing. As in your case. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Excel 2003 - SPB
    Guest

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    Thanks for the reply, but the formular is missing when you look into/edit the
    cell

  4. #4
    Excel 2003 - SPB
    Guest

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    Hi guys
    I have included the previous thread
    all is good with the formular
    a1=if(b1=1,"Yes","No")
    b1=1

    when I change the value in B1 to 0
    the contents (using edit F2) become
    text "No"

  5. #5
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    Are you now saying that all is good or do you still have the situation that
    the formula disappears? Formulas don't just disappear. If your formula is,
    in fact, disappearing, you have some code in that file that is doing this.

  6. #6

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    Any chance you have a "helpful" macro butting in?

    I'd open excel in safe mode
    windows start button|Run
    excel /safe

    file|open your workbook
    test it out.

    If the formula doesn't get converted to values, then I'd look for macros that
    are doing this.

  7. #7
    Excel 2003 - SPB
    Guest

    Re: Strange if(***) behaviour?

    No Macros
    Checked against/via alt&F11
    I am running some forms which load results of 1 or 0 to the "o" cells
    I have no Data "ControlSource" with cell referances

    another thing when I copy a formular into the "effected cell" it instantly
    changes to Text?