Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

  1. #1

    Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Fellow Forum Members,
    I have like 1400 rows of lotto winning history (small sample below). My objective is to sort in ascending order each row. The problem is that Excel 2003 is behaving oddly. I'm using Data-> Sort -> Options -> Sort Left to Right command. And I have highlighted the data in several ways with no success. Excel only sorts one row even though I have 1400 rows selected. Can someone help me with a macro that will sort the numbers row by row in ascending order? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    37 36 26 42 10 23
    2 48 3 1 13 28
    13 28 4 46 3 35
    11 6 31 2 34 14
    27 17 13 42 47 40
    4 38 42 23 3 10
    48 15 44 20 13 17
    3 19 7 5 13 20
    36 12 19 13 20 48
    15 40 8 47 25 22
    18 15 23 19 11 22
    30 44 17 49 42 15

  2. #2

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    You'll have to do it one row at at time...

    Or use a macro to do it for you.

    If you want to try a macro:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long

    With Worksheets("sheet1")
    FirstRow = 2

    For iRow = FirstRow To LastRow
    With .Cells(iRow, "A").Resize(1, 6)
    .Sort Key1:=.Columns(1), Order1:=xlAscending, _
    Header:=xlNo, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _
    Orientation:=xlLeftToRight
    End With
    Next iRow
    End With

  3. #3

    Followup

    Dave,
    You are the man! Thanks for the help. I never in a thousand years could have done this on my own because the programming looks complex. It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't upgrade Excel so that these kinds of operations are already included in the application. It doesn't make sense why such a critical operation would be left out. Looking at the code I noticed that it states the following: FirstRow = 2. I'm going to change it to 1, because this row is not being sorted. Lastly, thanks for the link to writing macros. It seems to be a valuable resource for newbies.
    Cheers,
    Binar

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson

  4. #4

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Glad you got it working.

    I guessed (incorrectly) that you may have headers in row 1 that shouldn't be
    sorted.

  5. #5

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    keep your DATA in a DATABASE

    in Access you can RIGHT-CLICK 'SORT' and RIGHT-CLICK 'FILTER' on
    anything that you want.

    -Aaron

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Hey, Aaron you dimwit....

    This is an Excel forum...... why do you keep providing MS Access solutions???? I suppose in Access forums you are providing Excel solutions!

    Geeeezzz..... you must be fun to work with (that is, if you have found a job after beig fired from Microsoft).... I can see you in meetings: Boss: "Our company owns 10 copies of Excel. We need a programmed solution for our Accounting department, written in Excel." Aaron: "I can give you anything you want in minus three seconds, because I'm so wonderful. It will be in Access because I dont know anything else."

    You'd probably lose your head if it wasn't screwed so tightly up your butt! Like I said....THIS IS AN EXCEL FORUM!! THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IS GIVE YOUR PIN-HEADED ATTEMPTS IN EXCEL!!

  7. #7

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Why are you posting in this thread?

    And why are you replying to me? I'm not Aaron.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    I believe I was replying to post # 5 in this thread, the one written by dbahooker (aka Aaron). Since I started my reply with "Hey Aaron,..." what made you think I was replying to what you wrote?

  9. #9
    Jay Petrulis
    Guest

    greaseman wrote:
    > Hey, Aaron you dimwit....
    >
    > This is an Excel forum...... why do you keep providing MS Access
    > solutions???? I suppose in Access forums you are providing Excel
    > solutions!

    Your post is spot on, except for this part. When has Aaron ever
    provided a "solution" to any question? All he does is spout some
    database propoganda without ever giving any help.

    I don't think he can give a solution in either Access or Excel.

  10. #10

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    I don't see any messages from Aaron in this thread when I connect directly to
    the MSNewsgroups.

    But I do see both Aaron's and Harlan's when I search via google.

    Maybe it's because they both posted via Google???

    Sorry about the (my) confusion.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Dave Peterson wrote...
    >I don't see any messages from Aaron in this thread when I connect directly to
    >the MSNewsgroups.

    Newsgroups hosted on msnews.microsoft.com are filtering out Aaron's
    postings and some responses to him. But then again, Microsoft's news
    servers seem to miss a lot of postings originated from Google Groups
    and ExcelForum, and Google Groups misses a lot of posting originated
    from Microsoft's news servers.

  13. #13
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Jay,

    You are absolutely correct..... Aaron has never offered solutions to anything anywhere. I pity the company that he works for, if there is one.

    Dave,

    Perfectly understandable...... some of these newsgroups / forums can be a bit confusing......

    Harlan,

    How might I go about determining where a response in this forum originated from?

  14. #14

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Not altogether a bad thing <bg>.

  15. #15

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    I'm not Harlan, but I looked via google:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...ed678911fafd8e

    or
    http://snipurl.com/ulwd

    Then I looked at the message in the thread that I cared about.
    I clicked on "Show Options"
    then I clicked on "Show Original"

    I saw this for your last message:

    From: greaseman <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help
    Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:03:53 -0400

    For one of Harlan's messages:

    From: "Harlan Grove" <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel
    Date: 7 Aug 2006 20:21:27 -0700

    If you're using a newsreader, you can usually click on some option to show
    headers.

  16. #16
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    greaseman wrote...
    >How might I go about determining where a response in this forum
    >originated from?

    All newsgroup postings have a header that includes message tags that
    identify the message itself, the chain of previous messages when the
    message in question is a response, the sender's name, the newsgroup(s)
    to which it's sent, the message subject and various other tags. The
    header is terminated with a blank line, and the body of the message
    follows after that.

    The key tag is Message-ID. That tag in your message, to which this is a
    response, looks like

    which tells me you're posting via ExcelForum. that being the case, it's
    unlikely you can see newsgroup message headers, so you may not be able
    to determine where any message originates. The Microsoft web portal is
    similarly limited. Google Groups, OTOH, does provide an option to
    display full messages including headers. All NNTP newsreaders, such as
    Outlook Express, Xnews etc., also provide ways to view message headers.

  17. #17
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Dave and Harlan,

    Thanks for your replies about newsgroups. I appreciate the information.

  18. #18
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Harlan Grove wrote...
    >Really? How does one sort fieds in each record separately in any
    >database? That is, given the OP's sample data as a table,
    >
    >F1____F2____F3____F4____F5____F6
    >37____36____26____42____10____23
    >_2____48_____3_____1____13____28

    >show us a query that could transform this into
    >
    >F1____F2____F3____F4____F5____F6
    >10____23____26____36____37____42
    >_1_____2_____3____13____28____48

    So, Aaron, I take it by your silence on this specific question that you
    have NO CLUE how to do this with ANY sort of query. Guess this just
    goes to show that one thing databases don't handle easily is swapping
    values between fields in the same record.

    There may be a way to do this with databases. First you'd need to
    convert the first table above to something like

    OrigRecNum__ColNum__Value
    _____1__________1_____37
    _____1__________2_____36
    _____1__________3_____26
    _____1__________4_____42
    _____1__________5_____10
    _____1__________6_____23
    _____2__________1______2
    _____2__________2_____48
    _____2__________3______3
    _____2__________4______1
    _____2__________5_____12
    _____2__________6_____28

    Then sort this new table by OrigRecNum then Value, both in ascending
    order to get

    OrigRecNum__ColNum__Value
    _____1__________5_____10
    _____1__________6_____23
    _____1__________3_____26
    _____1__________2_____36
    _____1__________1_____37
    _____1__________4_____42
    _____2__________4______1
    _____2__________1______2
    _____2__________3______3
    _____2__________5_____12
    _____2__________6_____28
    _____2__________2_____48

    Then update the ColNum field to show the count of records with the same
    OrigRecNum and Value <= the current record's Value. The result would
    look like

    OrigRecNum__ColNum__Value
    _____1__________1_____10
    _____1__________2_____23
    _____1__________3_____26
    _____1__________4_____36
    _____1__________5_____37
    _____1__________6_____42
    _____2__________1______1
    _____2__________2______2
    _____2__________3______3
    _____2__________4_____12
    _____2__________5_____28
    _____2__________6_____48

    And finally put this back into crosstab layout.

    F1____F2____F3____F4____F5____F6
    10____23____26____36____37____42
    _1_____2_____3____13____28____48

    Does this help you? Why don't you show us what the queries would look
    like? Dazzle us with how 4 nontrivial queries would be oh, so much more
    efficient than the Excel equivalent of a single array formula filled
    down (one moderately somplicated formula followed by one simple
    operation).

  19. #19

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    you keep your data properly normalized.

    having columns named F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6 isn't acceptable to ANY
    real developer.

    it's time that u excel dorks learn some real tools.. and it's time that
    companies start enforcing real SDLC 'best practices' inside of Excel.

    2/3rds of companies paychecks go to idiots that spend all day copying
    and pasting.

    You CON-ARTISTS can lick my nuts.

    Do something productive. Learn Crystal Reports.

    -Aaron

  20. #20

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    inflexible and difficult to learn?

    you WIMPS need to bite the bullet and learn some real skills.

    It took me YEARS to be able to learn how to build a responsive
    database.

    but I stuck with it. I read books on it. I took classes on it in
    college.

    And I slaved and slaved until I could do it.

    MDX is 10 times more powerful and complex than SQL. I don't mean SQL
    Server; I mean all dialects of ANSI-SQL.

    Yes. It is a FRIGGIN ***** to learn.

    But Excel was too.

    Excel is harder to use than any other product on the market.

    Why is it popular?

    Because you idiots DONT HAVE THE BALLS to learn a real program.

    It's laughable.

    What did Opperheimer say when FDR said 'build me a nuclear bomb'

    did he shiver and say 'oh but its TOO HARD'

    Did Michael Jordan stop practicing because it was 'TOO HARD'?

    Grow some balls kids; you're all stuck in the first grade of the
    technology ladder.

    -Aaron

  21. #21
    Jay Petrulis
    Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > blah, blah, blah
    >
    > -Aaron

    F1...F6 represent variable field names. Call them whatever you'd like.
    Harlan gave you an outline of a possible solution using a database
    (far more than you can do). That you chose to interpret his post to
    mean that he doesn't know how to give descriptive names says a lot
    about your ability to work with databases.

    Grapefruit juice.

  22. #22

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    well it technically should be ONE FIELD.

    -Aaron

  23. #23

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Harlan;

    you don't need the '' column because it doesnt' TELL YOU ANYTHING.

    if you wanted to -- you could use the RANK function to tell what
    ordinal position it SHOULD BE IN.

    But your design is flawed because it has information that is
    unnecessary.

    We don't care about what ordinal position the numbers were pulled in..
    right?
    so why would we store it?

    Note: this ranking function might take a different shape; I would
    probably change it to a query or 2 instead of tmpTables...

    Select OrigRecNum, (select count(distinct value) from TmpLotteryNumbers
    subQ Where SubQ.Value < TmpLotteryNumbers.Value + 1) as Rank
    Into TmpLotteryNumbers
    From
    (
    Select OrigRecNum, F1 as Value
    UNION
    Select OrigRecNum, F2
    UNION
    Select OrigRecNum, F3
    UNION
    Select OrigRecNum, F4
    UNION
    Select OrigRecNum, F5
    UNION
    Select OrigRecNum, F6
    ) derived1

    Select OrigRecNum,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 1) As F1,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 2) As F2,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 3) As F3,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 4) As F4,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 5) As F5,
    (Select Value From TmpLotteryNumbers SubQ WHERE SubQ.OrigRecNum =
    TmpLotteryNumbers.OrigRecNum AND Rank = 6) As F6
    From
    (Select Distinct OrigRecNum From TmpLotteryNumbers) derived1

    Altogether this would take me less than 30 seconds.

  24. #24

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    Binar;

    it's a shame you don't learn how to use databases.

    Excel isn't a tool for sorting.. it doesn't even support 'RIGHT-CLICK
    SORT'.

  25. #25

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    it's not 4 untrivial queries.

    it is ONE QUERY. MAYBE 2.

    And for the record?? i woudln't have to properly normalize the data--
    because it would come to me in that format.

    -Aaron

  26. #26

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    you see harlan.. simple operations like re-sorting? they don't require
    you to have a duplicate copy of the data.

    and for the record; what percentage of Excel developers use Array
    formulas?

    5 percent?

    -Aaron

  27. #27
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    [email protected] wrote...
    >Can excel even digest data at different granularities?

    Got a specific case?

    >Everything that was useful in Excel has been inside of Access for 5-6
    >years now.

    Maybe everything useful to you, since all you seem to need (be able to
    understand?) is counting and summing.

    So return to a question you haven't managed to answer, how would you
    perform matrix multiplication or inversion in Access?

  28. #28
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    [email protected] wrote...
    >you see harlan.. simple operations like re-sorting? they don't require
    >you to have a duplicate copy of the data.

    Reread your own query. It's reading data from one table and putting it
    into a different table with a different number of fields. Wouldn't that
    mean two copies of the data?

    So you're even unclear on what goes on in databases too, aren't you?

    >and for the record; what percentage of Excel developers use Array
    >formulas?
    >
    >5 percent?

    Excel USERS? 5%'s about right. Excel DEVELOPERS, as in those people who
    create workbooks intended for other people to use, at least 50% use
    them and all understand what they do. Your ignorance of them serves as
    proof you're no Excel developer.

  29. #29
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Rows Doesn't Work, Please Help

    [email protected] wrote...
    >it's not 4 untrivial queries.
    >
    >it is ONE QUERY. MAYBE 2.

    And if it's supposed to be returned to the original 6 fields per record
    format?

    >And for the record?? i woudln't have to properly normalize the data--
    >because it would come to me in that format.

    Find a state lotery authority site that provides historical winning
    lotto numbers in a normalized format (2 or 3 fields per record, 6
    records per draw) rather than a matrix format (6 fields per records or
    possibly 7 if the date of the draw were included, so all numbers drawn
    in the same records).

    You don't have any real world experience with outside data. Most people
    receive data in formats over which they have no control AND no access
    to any database from which that data may have been drawn. This is a
    good example.

    So, for the record, you'd have to normalize this data if it comes from
    its current sources.

  30. #30
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    It's absolutely indicative of Aaron's lack of brain.... he thought F1, F2, F3, F4.... in Harlan's example were ACTUAL field names! If he thinks that stupidly, wouldn't we love to see his database crap? (Sarcasm intended).

    I worked with a guy a few years ago who was equally flatlined. The guy I worked with, when I told him, in VB code to "sort some fields alphabetically by last name, first name" actually entered into the program's source code, "sort some fields alphabetically by last name, first name" which is what Aaron would do also.

    Geeeeee..... I wonder if the guy who worked for me had a middle name of Aaron? Nahhhhhh.... there's only one Aaron (isn't there????)

    I love the way Aaron shows us his incompetence.

  31. #31
    Jay Petrulis
    Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Jay
    >
    > So maybe you'll have to find someone else to do this..
    >
    > -Aaron

    and for the record??
    So, you are now giving up on helping the OP resolve the specific
    question?

    i mean seriously

    I think you are losing focus. The McArthur Wheeler story I keep
    referencing with the juice comments is amusing. However, for you,
    please note the title of the study. It is clearly applicable to you.

    "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
    Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"