The password option is grayed out under the Security tab

  1. #1
    wfleming
    Guest

    The password option is grayed out under the Security tab

    I want to remove a password from a worksheet but am unable to do so because
    the Password function is grayed out under the Security Tab on the Options
    menu.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: The password option is grayed out under the Security tab

    What do you consider as a "worksheet"?

    Worksheet or workbook passwords are not found under Security options. Encrypted
    files and shared files passwords are found there.

    Can you open the workbook/file without using a password?

    This type of password is found under File>Save As>Tools>General Options>Password
    to open or password to modify.

    To remove a password from a worksheet, go to Tools>Protection>Unptotect sheet.

    If I have misunderstood, post back or wait for someone else to take a crack at
    this.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    wfleming
    Guest

    Re: The password option is grayed out under the Security tab

    Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, I must give a password
    before opening the file in question. As far as protecting or unprotecting
    this file I am only given the option to protect it. Using
    Tool>option>security once the file is open, I cannot change or delete the
    password for this file nor can I change it under File>Save As>Tools>General
    Options>Password.

    Thanks,
    Wayne

  4. #4
    wfleming

  5. #5
    wfleming

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: The password option is grayed out under the Security tab

    When you go into File>Save As>Tools>General
    Options>Save Options do you see the file has a password?

    If so, just delete it and re-save the file with same name or different name.

    Gord