Find next occurance

  1. #1
    Jambruins
    Guest

    Find next occurance

    In cell C2 I have a vlookup formula (=VLOOKUP(A1,'NHL SCHEDULE'!H:I,2,0))
    that looks up the word ducks in column H in a tab called NHL Schedule . The
    words ducks occurs a number of times in column H in the NHL Schedule tab. I
    would like a formula for cell C3 that looks up the next occurance of the word
    ducks. Thanks

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Find next occurance

    Try this *array* formula in C2:

    =IF(COUNTIF('NHL SCHEDULE'!$H$1:$H$100,$A$1)>=ROWS($1:1),INDEX('NHL
    SCHEDULE'!$I$1:$I$100,SMALL(IF('NHL
    SCHEDULE'!$H$1:$H$100=$A$1,ROW($1:$100)),ROWS($1:1))),"")

    --
    Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of
    the regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    *AFTER* the CSE entry, copy the formula down Column C as far as needed to
    return *all* the occurrences of the team entered in A1.

    Also, since this is an array formula, you *cannot* use total column
    reference ( H:I ).
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jambruins
    Guest

    Re: Find next occurance

    I get a #NAME? error when I enter that in cell C2. I did use cse when I
    entered it also so that is not the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks.

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Find next occurance

    The only way I can see a #NAME? error being returned is if one of the
    functions were misspelled.
    "Misspelled" could *also* mean an added <space>!

    The *only* spaces in the formula are in your sheet names, between the "NHL"
    and "Schedule".
    So, check to see if you might be a victim of 'line wrap', where a <space> or
    two might have been added somewhere in a function name.

  5. #5
    Jambruins
    Guest

    Re: Find next occurance

    works perfectly, thanks a lot

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Find next occurance

    You're welcome, and appreciate the feed-back.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "RagDyer" wrote:

    > The only way I can see a #NAME? error being returned is if one of the
    > functions were misspelled.
    > "Misspelled" could *also* mean an added <space>!
    >
    > The *only* spaces in the formula are in your sheet names, between the

    "NHL"
    > and "Schedule".
    > So, check to see if you might be a victim of 'line wrap', where a <space>

    or
    > two might have been added somewhere in a function name.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

    !

    > >> "Jambruins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    ..