filtering out text from numbers

  1. #1

    filtering out text from numbers

    Hi,
    I have a long column of data, some cells have numbers in the cells some with text.
    I want to get the numbers out. Any ideas on a formula for this?

    Thanks

    Simon

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: filtering out text from numbers

    You can put this in a helper column and copy down

    =IF(ISTEXT(A1),A1,"")

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Thanks,
    tried that but some format or somethign is stopping that from differentiating text from the strings of 0001111000 that I want. Have found a long hand way to do it now

    Cheers

    Simon

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: filtering out text from numbers

    It's easy to see why it did not work as desired......0001111000 is not a
    number....it is actually a TEXT value just as much as a letter-character
    string. If all of the values you want to delete start with a leading zero,
    then this formula should help.........

    =IF(Left(A1=0,"",A1)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "simonsmith" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CLR

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: filtering out text from numbers

    On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:07:27 -0400, simonsmith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a long column of data, some cells have numbers in the cells some
    >with text.
    >I want to get the numbers out. Any ideas on a formula for this?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Simon

    Do you need to retain the leading zero's?

    Do you want the string returned as a text string (containing only numbers) or
    as a number (would have no leading zero's)?

    If you want to return a numeric value, then:

    =IF(ISERR(1*A1),"",1*A1)

    If you want to return a text string that contains only numbers (would include
    leading zero's), then:

    =IF(ISERR(1*A1),"",A1)

    --ron