If I understand what you described, I would put an IF function in B1 to check
the value of A1 in order to avoid an error. Also, if I understand A1 to have
a blank and and A2 = 2 (in this example), then B1 should be the value of 0+2.
I am not sure of the logic behind knowing what numbers you wish to add in
column A, so for this example I am going to just address the cells A1 & A2 in
checking for a blank.

FORMULA for B1
=IF(OR(A1="",A1=" "), A2, IF(OR(A2="",A2=" "), A1, A1+A2))

I tested this and it seems to work fine. However, I did get a value of 0
(zero) in B1 with both A1 & A2 were empty. Not sure why, but maybe this will
work for you.

Les