How can I protect cells w/formulas from being typed over?

  1. #1

    Please Help!!!!!!

    PLEASE BARE WITH ME!!!!

    How can I block only the cell that contains the Formula but make it so they can keep inputting the daily numbers (I am sharing a spreadsheet that multiple people input daily numbers into. The thing is that sometimes they type over the cell that contains the formula that runs the whole sheet).
    Last edited by lucifuge; 08-09-2006 at 06:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Try using Sheet protection

    The attached link runs you through what you need to do

    http://www.uwec.edu/help/Excel03/ws-protect.htm

    VBA Noob

  3. #3
    Thank you!!!!

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I protect cells w/formulas from being typed over?

    By default all cells on a sheet are locked when the sheet is protected.

    CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select all cells.

    Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck "locked" and OK

    Now select the sections/rows/cells to protect and Format>Cells>Protection.
    Check "locked" and OK

    Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet

    The section/row locking does not work if you don't protect the sheet.

    BTW........I rarely get nekkid with anyone on a first date<g>

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:33:10 -0400, lucifuge
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PLEASE BARE WITH ME!!!!
    >
    >How can I block only the cell that contains the Formula but make it so
    >they can keep inputting the daily numbers (I am sharing a spreadsheet
    >that multiple people input daily numbers into. The thing is that
    >sometimes they type over the cell that contains the formula that runs
    >the whole sheet).

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP