Stocks

  1. #1
    cheryl church
    Guest

    Stocks

    Im new to excel. I do some stock trading, when I report my Income/Profit to
    the IRS for taxes, I am asked for my Cost. Is FIFO the correct method to
    calculate cost? if so, whats the best way to implement such a method

  2. #2

    Re: Stocks

    cheryl church wrote:
    > Im new to excel. I do some stock trading, when I report my Income/Profit to
    > the IRS for taxes, I am asked for my Cost. Is FIFO the correct method to
    > calculate cost?

    This is not an Excel question. The answer is: unless you "adequately
    identify" stock at the time of sale, you must use FIFO, at least
    according to the IRS.

    The phrase "adequately identify" is a technical term, defined by the
    IRS. See IRS Pub
    550, page 44 -- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf . In a
    nutshell, it requires a written enumeration of stocks sold from the
    broker.

    Many people take liberties with those rules. And of course, it only
    matters if you are audited.