allow user to paste in a protected worksheet without unprotect it

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    allow user to paste in a protected worksheet without unprotect it

    I have a protected worksheet. How could I copy and paste within the
    same worksheet without unprotect it? Any help will be highly
    appreciated!

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: allow user to paste in a protected worksheet without unprotect it

    If the paste-to range is unprotected you can paste into that range.

    By default all cells on a sheet are locked when the sheet is protected.

    CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select all cells.

    Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck "locked" and OK

    Now select the sections/rows/cells to protect and Format>Cells>Protection.
    Check "locked" and OK

    Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet

    The section/row locking does not work if you don't protect the sheet.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On 11 Aug 2006 13:55:51 -0700, "George" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a protected worksheet. How could I copy and paste within the
    >same worksheet without unprotect it? Any help will be highly
    >appreciated!

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    George
    Guest

    Re: allow user to paste in a protected worksheet without unprotect it

    Thanks for your response. Please let me take this chance to state my
    question more clearly. In my worksheet, I have a column with all cells
    in that column locked. There are a few cells UNDER OTHER COLUMNS
    unlocked for user to input their data. Then the whole worksheet is
    password-protected. My question is how to allow user to copy one ROW
    and paste it into another row without unprotect the worksheet? Please
    keep it in mind that there is at least one cell in EACH ROW locked
    where user CAN NOT modify the value in that cell. Thanks and I am
    looking forward to hearing from you soon!