How to check if an excel sheet has external references.

  1. #1

    How to check if an excel sheet has external references.

    Hi everybody, i want to know how to do this. Suppose there is a work sheet by name WrkSheet1 in WorkBook1 and there is another work sheet by name WrkSheet4 in WorkBook2. WrkSheet1 is linked to WrkSheet4( WrkSheet4 uses data from WrkSheet1 as input). How do i Programmatically find out if WrkSheet4 has dependencies or external references. I want to do this Programmatically using VB.

    I apologise if this has already been discussed. If it has already been discussed plz let me know as to where i can find it.

    With Regards,
    Daffo.
    Last edited by Daffo; 08-14-2006 at 07:56 AM.

  2. #2

    Re: How to check if an excel sheet has external references.

    If you're lucky, you could look through all the formulas looking for .xls or
    ..xls].

    But those links can hide in mysterious places.

    I'd get a copy of Bill Manville's FindLink program:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    To see if the code found everything.

  3. #3
    prabhuraaman via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: How to check if an excel sheet has external references.

    You can press Ctrl+~ to display all the formulas in text.Pressing it again
    would retrieve the original formulas
    In case you have references to an external workbook Excel would prompt you to
    resolve external links.Else you can do this by going to Edit->Links and then
    following the options for which you may find the following post useful.
    http://xlmaster.blogspot.com/2006/08/edit-menu.html

    If you want to do this in VBA, then you must do it by checking whether each
    cell contains the workbook name

  4. #4
    Hi thank you for replying. I will try out what you have mentioned and get back .

    can i get the fomulas used in a worksheet and thereby get to know if it has any dependencies. I dont know if this is possible.
    Last edited by Daffo; 08-16-2006 at 04:35 AM.